The Office of Academic Affairs
The Office of Academic Affairs strengthens the campus community by promoting the academic mission, advocating for faculty, and enhancing teaching and learning.
The office oversees and supports faculty careers from recruitment through hiring, promotion and tenure, and retirement. It supports student learning through a variety of programs that develop and maintain excellence in instruction, in curriculum, and in the academic environment.
Academic Affairs commits to the following actions:
- safeguard the primacy of Academic Affairs
- respect unit administrators’ autonomy
- advocate for and represent Academic Affairs to the rest of the university
- provide strong and honest representation of academic unit needs
- understand and value each other's work
- support team decisions
To exceed the highest academic expectations for comprehensive, metropolitan universities.
Indiana University South Bend is the comprehensive undergraduate and postgraduate campus that serves North Central Indiana and is a regional campus of Indiana University. The campus values excellence in teaching, student-faculty interaction, research and creative activity, diversity and inclusivity, a global perspective, and collaboration in life-long learning. IU South Bend develops engaged citizens prepared to build strong communities.
Approved by the IU Board of Trustees
We value education as essential to democracy and the quality of life; we value open and free inquiry; we value academic freedom and an unfettered exchange of ideas in a spirit of shared governance; we value self-directed learning and independent thought; we value collaborative learning between professor and student; we value pluralism and diversity in all its manifestations; we value education that leads to appreciation of and participation in the arts; we value life-long learning; and we value civic engagement, global awareness, and environmental sustainability.
- Executive Vice Chancellor Guillaume's October 21, 2011 Senate address
- Vice Chancellor Guillaume's October 15, 2010 Senate address
- Vice Chancellor Guillaume's October 16, 2009 Senate address
- Ten Years of Academic Affairs (1999-2009) Alfred J. Guillaume, Jr., VCAA