The Chancellor’s Professorship honors a full professor or librarian with highly meritorious performance in all areas of faculty or librarian work. It recognizes a record of extensive accomplishment and leadership in teaching, research, and campus service. The title acknowledges that the breadth and depth of those contributions are vital to the overall success of campus goals and advancement.
Criteria for Nominations
Candidates must have achieved a career-long record of accomplishment in all three areas of faculty work (teaching or performance, research/creative activities, and service), together with a demonstrated commitment to the mission of the campus. Faculty with distinguished records reflecting interdisciplinary accomplishments or work integrating traditional areas are encouraged as well. There should be clear evidence of the candidate’s strengths that demonstrates a consistently excellent performance of benefit to the University over time. Chancellor’s Professors are faculty who contribute in concrete, demonstrable ways to the development of IUSB as an academic community of exceptional quality and integrity, as well as to their discipline through the creation and application of knowledge. Through their scholarship, leadership, and service to their department, school or college, and campus, successful nominees will have demonstrated a record of contributions to the mission and vision of IUSB.
- Rank | Full professor
- Minimum number of years at IU South Bend | 10 years at time of nomination
- Minimum number of years in rank | 4 years at time of nomination
- Ineligible | Chancellor, Executive Vice Chancellor, Deans
- Criteria | A record of highly meritorious performance in all areas of faculty work ( teaching, research or creative activity, and service), or librarian work (performance, research or creative activity, and service), as demonstrated throughout one’s career.
Terms of the Award
- Award benefit | $5,000 added to base pay in year of initial appointment as Chancellor’s Professor
- Awardee Responsibilities | During the initial year of appointment, the awardee will undertake a project that advances the mission of the campus. The project will be determined in consultation with the Chancellor. The awardee will receive one three credit course release each semester (or something comparable if a librarian) for the academic year in which she/he is initially appointed as a Chancellor’s Professor in order to complete the project. The course releases or equivalent must take place during the Fall and Spring semesters in the initial year of appointment as Chancellor’s Professor.
- Length of Title | The Chancellor’s Professor will carry the title in perpetuity.
Any tenured faculty member may nominate a full professor colleague to be considered for the Chancellor’s Professorship. Nominees must have four years in rank as full professors and been in service to IU South Bend for ten years at the time of nomination. No self-nominations will be considered.
- Letter of nomination | Maximum five pages
- Supporting letters | Three letters from internal and/or external sources. A paragraph accompanying each external letter describing the qualifications of the author should be included. This is only required for letters written by individuals external to the IUSB campus. There is no page limit for the supporting letters.
- Additional letters | Note from the candidate’s dean (and, where applicable, the candidate’s chair) agreeing to the course releases.
- Documents from candidate | curriculum vitae; maximum three page statement
Dossier Preparation Requirements
The nominator, in addition to writing a nominating letter, is responsible for collecting the three additional letters of support and the note from the candidate’s dean and or chair. The nominator will work with the candidate to determine whom to solicit for the supporting letters. Supporting letters should be sent to the nominator so that he/she can add them to the candidate’s dossier materials. The nominator will assemble the dossier and submit it to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs by the deadline date.
The candidate is responsible for submitting an updated curriculum vitae and a three page statement outlining their contributions to IU South Bend.
The nominator shall submit all materials in the dossier in electronic form to the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. One paper copy should also be submitted.
Deadline for submission of dossier materials
Complete dossier materials for the 2017-2018 Chancellor’s Professor are due by February 28, 2017 to the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (Admin A246 for the hard copy) and electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete dossiers will not be forwarded to the Selection Committee.
The successful candidate will be announced at the last Senate meeting of the academic year.
Guidelines for Dossier Preparation >>