Courses: New Courses or Changes in Existing Courses
How to prepare and submit a graduate or undergraduate course for remonstrance: follow this document and complete the steps it outlines. Course remonstrance lists for all of IU are posted at the beginning of each calendar month and remain available for comments, questions, etc. for 30 days.
To file a remonstrance regarding a particular course or to receive additional information about a course or program request, please contact John McIntosh, Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org or (574) 520-4343 by the deadline for the remonstrance.
For general information about course or program change issues, you may also contact Anne Richmond, Academic Records Assistant and Secretary, at email@example.com or (574) 520-4143.
Any graduate courses (500-level and above) are posted for remonstrance at the following website graduate.indiana.edu.
To view the remonstrance list, click on
- Faculty and Staff Resources (top menu)
- Curriculum and Academic Programs (left menu)
- Add courses to curriculum (left menu)
- Go to the remonstrance list (body)
The University Graduate School's remonstrance list is published every 30 days. It is sent to every member of the Indiana University Graduate Faculty.
New Programs, Degrees, etc.
To propose new programs, degrees, certificates, majors or minors, name changes or other program changes, utilize the routing sheets below (i.e., the CARMIn system is for individual course approvals, not program-level issues). In addition, the Required Cover Sheet needs to be completed, along with your proposal and curriculum map.
Completion of the following required:
- Routing Sheet
- Cover Sheet
a. See Table of Items Needed for Approval for specific items required for your situation
b. Then use Checklist of Criteria for proposal format and specific details needed under each item you require for your situation
c. This Program Description with questions document provides detail for each of the criteria on the checklist and should be used to format the proposal PDF | DOCX
- Curriculum Map
Note | Selecting , , or  below from the routing sheet will link to the appropriate cover sheet required for submission
- Undergraduate Program Routing Sheet | 1. New Program, Degree, Certificate, Majors or Minors | 2. New Online Degree, Certificate | 3. Name Change
- Graduate Program Routing Sheet | 1. New Program, Degree, Certificate, Majors or Minors | 2. New Online Degree, Certificate | 3. Name Change
- Additional information specific to certificate programs | Guidelines for the Development of Certificate Programs | Intent to Offer Financial Aid Eligible Certificate Programs
- Proposing a New Degree Program | Information [The Degree Program Review Process can also be viewed as a document [PDF | Flowchart]
- Table of Items Needed for Approval
Checklist of Criteria | ICHE
- General Matrix for the Administrative Approval Process for New Academic Programs
- Curriculum map resources
Program Changes (Slight changes only)
To be used ONLY for slight or inconsequential changes to existing programs or adjustments to the curriculum. The routing sheet and curriculum map are required. This is used for information and communication only.
- Graduate or Undergraduate Program Change Routing Sheet
Completion of the following are required:
CARMin Remonstrance List
- Approved course list for previously proposed courses.
- Approved course list SORTED by departments for previously proposed courses.