housing students

Transferring Credit

Students enrolled in degree programs generally receive transfer credit for any course from an accredited institution that corresponds to one in our curriculum (in content and credit value). We consider such factors as:

The institution's accreditation or candidacy status with a regional accrediting association

The accreditation’s type and nature

The information found in institutional bulletins and guides

Whether the credits are appropriate to IU’s degree programs

Accreditations we accept for transfer credit are as follows:

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools

New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. / Commission on Institutions of Higher Education

Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/Commission on Colleges

Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Once you are admitted to IU, we will evaluate your transcript(s). After your transfer credit has been evaluated, your Credit Transfer Report (CTR) can be viewed through OneStart. Please be advised, CTRs may take up to 4 weeks to process during peak times throughout the year and we will not post transfer credit until we receive all of your final/official transcripts.

Important notes about transferring credit to IU:

Only courses in which you received a C or higher will transfer. Courses in which you received a C- or lower are listed on your CTR as nontransferable course work.

Transfer credit may count toward your degree at IU, but it will not count toward your GPA at IU.

You will be awarded the same number of hours for which you received credit at your previous institution. If the school you attended operates on semester hours, these credits will transfer to IU as is. If the school operates on quarter hours, your transferable credits will be multiplied by two-thirds to convert them to semester hours. Credits from schools that operate on unit systems or other types of credit systems will be converted to semester hours.

Individual schools and departments at IU determine how transferred credits will apply toward your degree requirements.

Courses for which IU does not have an equivalent offering can sometimes be transferred as undistributed (UNDI) credits. The decision as to how UNDI credits will fit into your degree program will be made by the school or division in which you will pursue your degree.

We can apply up to two years (60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours) of transferred credits from a junior or community college toward your IU degree requirements. Up to 90 semester hours or 135 quarter hours of transferred credit can be applied from a four-year institution.

Veterans may earn college credit for educational experiences in the armed services. Submit your certified DD Form 295 and/or DD Form 214, and/or transcript from the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) with your application. Any additional, relevant military transcripts should also accompany your application.

Students Attending IU South Bend as Guests

Guest students must provide their home instituition with an official Indiana University transcript upon completion of their course work. Please be advised, transfer credit is accepted per the home instituition's transfer credit practice. Guest students are advised to coordinate through their academic advisor before enrolling in course work at IU South Bend.