Prior to Commencement
When you receive your regalia, please remove it from its packaging and hang it on a hanger. You may need to steam it to get the wrinkles out of it.
Share the live broadcast link, Commencement.iu.edu, with friends and family so they can celebrate virtually.
Day of Commencement - Tuesday, May 10th, 2022
Please check your email the morning of Commencement. This is how the university will communicate any necessary updates.
On Commencement Day, you will need to bring:
- Your robe
- Your cap and tassel
- Your stole of gratitude (if you are a Bachelor’s graduate)
- Your hood (if you are a Master’s graduate)
Do not bring in any bags or purses for security reasons. Please leave personal items with a friend or family member. We cannot be responsible for items left in the Field House. We also recommend you wear lightweight clothing under your gown. You may not wear anything over your cap and gown except honor cords and Honors Program medals: no corsages, jewelry, etc.
Graduates need to be in the Joyce Center Field House by 4:45 pm (4 pm if you are getting pictures taken).
- Your family and friends should go to the Joyce Center. The doors open at 5 pm and general admission seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please give all your valuables and personal belongings to a family member or friend to hold.
- Check in with your school school/college/division to receive your walk card. During the ceremony the top card should be handed to the photographer before you cross the stage. The bottom card should be handed to the reader on the stage to have your name announced.
Once everyone is lined-up, we will begin the processional around 5:45 pm
- Hold on to your walk card. Tassels on the cap are worn on the right. Honor cords are worn on the left shoulder.
- Each school will be led by their school’s faculty marshal. Follow your faculty marshal to the center seating area in the Joyce Center, go to your seat, and remain standing.
- You will be told when to sit.
During the ceremony
- Graduates will be invited to the stage to have their name read and receive their diploma covers.
- Proceed one row at a time to the stage. Access to the stage will be by the steps on the right (as you face the stage).
- Give the top walk card to the photographer who takes your picture before you walk across the stage.
- Walk up the steps and give your bottom walk card to the name reader.
- Wait until the announcer reads your name, then proceed across the stage. Your school Dean and Chancellor Susan Elrod will congratulate you.
- After descending the steps on the left side of the stage, you will pause momentarily for a photo with your diploma cover.
- Return to your seat and remain standing. Don’t sit until your entire row has returned.
Diploma covers presented during the ceremony will not contain actual diplomas. December graduates should have already received their diplomas. The actual diplomas for May, June, and August graduates should be available approximately six weeks after you have been certified for graduation. Spring and summer graduates will be notified via email by the Registrar’s office when your diplomas have arrived.
Remind your guests about proper crowd etiquette. Please ask them to remain in their seats until the commencement ceremony ends and, if they must go to out to the foyer, that they remain quiet. Thanks!
Candidates for first degrees wear tassels on the right sides of their caps until degrees have been announced by the IU President. After the conferral, bachelor and associate degree candidates grasp the tassel with the left hand and move it to the left side of the cap. Candidates who already have a degree wear their tassels on the left side.
Photographs may be taken at any point during the ceremony; however, you may be restricted from photographing in certain areas. Indiana University contracts a photographer to take photos of the graduates in their caps and gowns. Graduates do not need to sign up for these photographs before the ceremony. A photographer will take their picture after they step from the stage holding their diploma covers. Proofs and order forms will be mailed to you after graduation.