Resources | Books, Articles, Links
YouTube videos demonstrating Taskstream
- How to Create an Outcome Set in AMS
- How to Add a New Outcome to an Existing Outcome Set
- Editing an Existing Outcome
- How to Delete an Outcome
- Adding an Assessment Plan
- Adding Findings to an Assessment Plan
- Adding an Assessment Plan
- Adding Findings to an Assessment Plan
Program Assessment Models
Need ideas and help with your program assessment? Explore assessment reports drafted at other institutions within your academic discipline (see below). Another great resource for best-practice models within a discipline are faculty professional associations (e.g. historians.org, acube.org, maa.org, etc.).
- Wooster Assessment Resources by Discipline
- University of Hawaii at Manoa
- NC State - Assessment Resources
- Susan Hatfield September 13, 2013 workshop | Assessing Program Level Student Learning Objectives
- Douglas Davenport's March 28, 2008 workshop presentations | Assessment in the Classroom
- The Self-Regarding Institution
- The Cost of Assessment | To read this paper and other papers in NILOA’s occasional paper series visit their website
Assessing Student Organizations:
- NACA competency guide for college student leaders: http://www.sbctc.ctc.edu/college/studentsvcs/naca_college_student_leader_competency_guide.pdf
- ACPA College Student Educators International, Professional Competencies http://www.myacpa.org/professional-competencies
- CAS Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher http://www.cas.edu/
- Student Leadership Program Model – Dennis Roberts
- Assessing and Improving Student Organizations: A Guide for Students. The Assessing and Improving Student Organization (AISO) Program (Ruben, Brent D.; Nolfi, Tricia) - Stylus Publishing, LLC. There is also a student workbook and a resource guide for facilitators.
Portfolio Assessment Resources
- Banta, T.W. (Ed.). Portfolio assessment: Uses, cases, scoring, and impact. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2003.
- Cambridge, B.L., Cambridge D. and Yancey K.B. (Eds.) Electronic portfolios 2.0. Sterling VA:Stylus, 2009.
- Cambridge, B.L., Kahn, S., Tompkins, D.P. and Yancey K.B. (Eds.) Electronic portfolios: Emerging practices in student faculty, and institutional learning. Washington D.C.: American Association of Higher Education.
- Hutchings, P. (Ed.). The course portfolio: How faculty can examine their teaching to advance practice and improve student learning. Washington, DE: American Association of Higher Education, 1998.
- IUPUI Portfolios Links Page http://www.imir.iupui.edu/portfolio/links.htm#portfolios
Zubizarreta, J. The learning portfolio: Reflective practice for improving student learning. Bolton, MA: Anker, 2004.
Rubric Assessment Resources
- Selke, Mary J. Goggins (2013) Rubric Assessment Goes to College: Objective, Comprehensive Evaluation of Student Work. New York: Rowan and Littlefield
Assessment in Specific Disciplines
- Bresciani, Marill J., Megan Moore Gardner and Jessica Hickmott. Demonstrating Student Success: A Practical Guide to Outcomes-Bassed Assessment in Learning and Development in Student Affairs. Sterling VA: Stylus. 2009.
- Peat, B. and Moriarty, L. J. Assessing Criminal Justice/Criminology Education. Durham, NC: Carolina AP, 2009.
- Assessing Student Competence in Accredited Disciplines; pioneering approaches to assessment in higher education. Edited by Catherine A. Palomba and Trudy W. Banta. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2001.
- Gold, B., Keith, S. Z. & Marrion, W. A. Eds. Assessment Practices in Undergraduate Mathematics. Mathematical Association of America. 1999.
- Demonstrating Student Success: A Practical Guide to Outcomes-Based Assessment of Learning and Development in Student Affairs
- Angelo, Thomas and K. Patricia Cross. Classroom Assessment Techniques; A handbook for college teachers. Second edition. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 1993.
- Assessing Student Achievement in General Education. Edited by Trudy W. Banta. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2007.
- Assessment Update<[electronic resource]. available from Wiley Interscience, on campus.
- Astin, Alexander. Assessment for Excellence: The Philosophy and Practice of Assessment in Evaluation in Higher Education. Westport,Conn: ORYX Press, 1993. 1
- Banta, T.W. and associates. Making a difference: Outcomes of a Decade of Assessment in Higher Education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1996.
- Brookhart, Susan. The Art and Science of Classroom Assessment: The Missing Part of Pedagogy. ASHE-ERIC Higher Education Report (Vol. 27, no.1). Washington D.C.: The George Washington University, Graduate School of Education and Human Development, 1999.< 1
A Collection of Papers on Self-Study and Institutional Improvement, 2003. Vol. 1 Establishing and Sustaining Effective Connections, Vol 2 Organizational Effectiveness and Future Directions, Vol 3 Promoting Student Learning and Effective Teaching, Vol 4 The Self Study Process for Commission Evaluation.Chicago: Prepared for the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Diamond, Robert M. Designing and Assessing Courses and Curricula. Third Ed. Chicago: Jossey-Bass. 2008.
- Doherty, Austin, Tim Riordan and James Roth. Student Learning: A Central Focus for Institutions of Higher Education. Edited Milwaukee, WI: Alverno College Institute, 2002. - 1
- Huba, Mary E. and Jann E. Freed. Learner-Centered Assessment on College Campuses; Shifting the Focus from Teaching to Learning. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 2000.
- Keeling, R. P., A.F. Wall, R. Underhile and G. J. Dungy. Assessment Reconsiderd: Institutional Effectiveness for Student Success. ICSSIA, NASPA , 2008.
- Miller, Allen H., Bradford W. Imrie and Kevin Cox. Student Assessment in Higher Education; a handbook for assessing performance. London: Kogan Page, 1998.
- Nichols, James O. and Karen W. Nichols. A Road Map for Improvement of Student Learning and Support Services through Assessment . New York : Agathon Press, 2005. available from the Schurz Library LB2331.63 .N55 2005
- Stevens, Dannelle D. and Antonia J. Levi. Introduction to Rubrics: An Assessment Tool to Save Grading Time, Convey Effective Feedback and Promote Student Learning. Sterling VA: Stylus Publishing, 2005.
- Schuh, John H. and M. Lee Upcraft. Assessment Practice in Student Affairs: An Applications Manual . San Fransisco: Jossey-Bass, 2001.
- Selke, Mary J. Goggins. Rubric Assessment Goes to College: Objective, Comprehensive Evaluation of Student Work. New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2013.
- Suskie, Linda. Assessing Student Learning, A Common Sense Guide. Bolton, MA: Anker Pub.2004.
- Van Note Chism, Nancy. Peer Review of Teaching. Bolton, MA: Anker Pub. 1999.
- Walvoord, Barbara E. Assessment Clear and Simple: A Practical Guide for Institutions, Departments, and General Education. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Walvoord, Barbara E. and Virginia Johnson Anderson. Effective Grading: A Tool for Learning and Assessment. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1998.
1. Also available from the IU South Bend Schurz Library