Resources | Books, Articles, Links
Program Assessment Models
Need ideas and help with your program assessment? Explore assessment reports drafted at other institutions within your academic discipline (see below). Another great resource for best-practice models within a discipline are faculty professional associations (e.g. historians.org, acube.org, maa.org, etc.).
- Wooster Assessment Resources by Discipline
- University of Hawaii at Manoa
- NC State - Assessment Resources
- Susan Hatfield September 13, 2013 workshop | Assessing Program Level Student Learning Objectives
- Douglas Davenport's March 28, 2008 workshop presentations | Assessment in the Classroom
- The Self-Regarding Institution
- The Cost of Assessment | To read this paper and other papers in NILOA’s occasional paper series visit their website
Assessing Student Organizations:
- NACA competency guide for college student leaders: http://www.sbctc.ctc.edu/college/studentsvcs/naca_college_student_leader_competency_guide.pdf
- NASPA for student leaders http://www.naspa.org/images/uploads/main/Professional_Competencies.pdf
- ACPA College Student Educators International, Professional Competencies http://www.myacpa.org/professional-competencies
- CAS Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher http://www.cas.edu/
- Student Leadership Program Model – Dennis Roberts
- Assessing and Improving Student Organizations: A Guide for Students. The Assessing and Improving Student Organization (AISO) Program (Ruben, Brent D.; Nolfi, Tricia) - Stylus Publishing, LLC. There is also a student workbook and a resource guide for facilitators.
Portfolio Assessment Resources
- Banta, T.W. (Ed.). Portfolio assessment: Uses, cases, scoring, and impact. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2003.
- Cambridge, B.L., Cambridge D. and Yancey K.B. (Eds.) Electronic portfolios 2.0. Sterling VA:Stylus, 2009.
- Cambridge, B.L., Kahn, S., Tompkins, D.P. and Yancey K.B. (Eds.) Electronic portfolios: Emerging practices in student faculty, and institutional learning. Washington D.C.: American Association of Higher Education.
- Hutchings, P. (Ed.). The course portfolio: How faculty can examine their teaching to advance practice and improve student learning. Washington, DE: American Association of Higher Education, 1998.
- IUPUI Portfolios Links Page http://www.imir.iupui.edu/portfolio/links.htm#portfolios
Zubizarreta, J. The learning portfolio: Reflective practice for improving student learning. Bolton, MA: Anker, 2004.
Rubric Assessment Resources
- Selke, Mary J. Goggins (2013) Rubric Assessment Goes to College: Objective, Comprehensive Evaluation of Student Work. New York: Rowan and Littlefield
Assessment in Specific Disciplines
- Bresciani, Marill J., Megan Moore Gardner and Jessica Hickmott. Demonstrating Student Success: A Practical Guide to Outcomes-Bassed Assessment in Learning and Development in Student Affairs. Sterling VA: Stylus. 2009.
- Peat, B. and Moriarty, L. J. Assessing Criminal Justice/Criminology Education. Durham, NC: Carolina AP, 2009.
- Assessing Student Competence in Accredited Disciplines; pioneering approaches to assessment in higher education. Edited by Catherine A. Palomba and Trudy W. Banta. Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2001.
- Gold, B., Keith, S. Z. & Marrion, W. A. Eds. Assessment Practices in Undergraduate Mathematics. Mathematical Association of America. 1999.
- Demonstrating Student Success: A Practical Guide to Outcomes-Based Assessment of Learning and Development in Student Affairs
- Angelo, Thomas and K. Patricia Cross. Classroom Assessment Techniques; A handbook for college teachers. Second edition. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 1993.
- Assessing Student Achievement in General Education. Edited by Trudy W. Banta. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2007.
- Assessment Update<[electronic resource]. available from Wiley Interscience, on campus.
- Astin, Alexander. Assessment for Excellence: The Philosophy and Practice of Assessment in Evaluation in Higher Education. Westport,Conn: ORYX Press, 1993. 1
- Banta, T.W. and associates. Making a difference: Outcomes of a Decade of Assessment in Higher Education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1996.
- Brookhart, Susan. The Art and Science of Classroom Assessment: The Missing Part of Pedagogy. ASHE-ERIC Higher Education Report (Vol. 27, no.1). Washington D.C.: The George Washington University, Graduate School of Education and Human Development, 1999.< 1
A Collection of Papers on Self-Study and Institutional Improvement, 2003. Vol. 1 Establishing and Sustaining Effective Connections, Vol 2 Organizational Effectiveness and Future Directions, Vol 3 Promoting Student Learning and Effective Teaching, Vol 4 The Self Study Process for Commission Evaluation.Chicago: Prepared for the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Diamond, Robert M. Designing and Assessing Courses and Curricula. Third Ed. Chicago: Jossey-Bass. 2008.
- Doherty, Austin, Tim Riordan and James Roth. Student Learning: A Central Focus for Institutions of Higher Education. Edited Milwaukee, WI: Alverno College Institute, 2002. - 1
- Huba, Mary E. and Jann E. Freed. Learner-Centered Assessment on College Campuses; Shifting the Focus from Teaching to Learning. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 2000.
- Keeling, R. P., A.F. Wall, R. Underhile and G. J. Dungy. Assessment Reconsiderd: Institutional Effectiveness for Student Success. ICSSIA, NASPA , 2008.
- Miller, Allen H., Bradford W. Imrie and Kevin Cox. Student Assessment in Higher Education; a handbook for assessing performance. London: Kogan Page, 1998.
- Nichols, James O. and Karen W. Nichols. A Road Map for Improvement of Student Learning and Support Services through Assessment . New York : Agathon Press, 2005. available from the Schurz Library LB2331.63 .N55 2005
- Stevens, Dannelle D. and Antonia J. Levi. Introduction to Rubrics: An Assessment Tool to Save Grading Time, Convey Effective Feedback and Promote Student Learning. Sterling VA: Stylus Publishing, 2005.
- Schuh, John H. and M. Lee Upcraft. Assessment Practice in Student Affairs: An Applications Manual . San Fransisco: Jossey-Bass, 2001.
- Selke, Mary J. Goggins. Rubric Assessment Goes to College: Objective, Comprehensive Evaluation of Student Work. New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2013.
- Suskie, Linda. Assessing Student Learning, A Common Sense Guide. Bolton, MA: Anker Pub.2004.
- Van Note Chism, Nancy. Peer Review of Teaching. Bolton, MA: Anker Pub. 1999.
- Walvoord, Barbara E. Assessment Clear and Simple: A Practical Guide for Institutions, Departments, and General Education. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Walvoord, Barbara E. and Virginia Johnson Anderson. Effective Grading: A Tool for Learning and Assessment. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1998.
1. Also available from the IU South Bend Schurz Library