Job Fair Preparation Timeline
Soon the countdown will begin
It is never too early to prepare. Click the links below for advice on how to prepare for either the fall or spring IU South Bend Career and Internship Fair.
Fair Tip of the Week: Things to do After the Fair
Fair Tip of the Week: Develop an Action Plan for the Fair
Fair Tip of the Week: The 60-Second Commercial
Fair Tip of the Week: Dress and Act The Part
First impressions are critical. You only get ONE first impression!
IU South Bend is a casual environment but recruiters are not from IU South Bend. Put your best foot forward by dressing in conservative, well pressed, business attire. Remember, "Professional, business attire" does NOT mean "dressed up". In other words, don't wear what you would wear to a nice club or a religious service.
Some attire tips:
- Professional, business attire means clothes that are clean, fit well, and are nicely pressed
- Dark slacks or skirt (not too short!), a button-up shirt with a tie or a blouse, etc. are all appropriate choices
- Wear little to no perfume or cologne
- Wear simple make-up and jewelry, if you choose to wear any
Note: Professional dress is REQUIRED for entry into the fair. Jeans, tennis/gym shoes, t-shirts, etc. will NOT be permitted.
- Turn off your cell phone
- Don't travel in packs. Employers want to talk to you, not you and your 3 closest friends
- Smile. Offer a firm handshake. Chewing gum is inappropriate; so is eating or drinking anything
- Approach employers with confidence -- always remember that they are hoping that you will be the star candidate they have been waiting for.
Items to bring with you:
- Portfolio or folder to carry résumés
- Pen and paper
- Several copies of your résumé
Fair Tip of the Week: Research Companies and Organizations
Fair Tip of the Week: Create a Winning Résumé
If you have any questions, please contact our office. Looking forward to seeing you at the Fair!