Frequently Asked Questions

I have an “Advising Hold”. What does that mean?

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences policy on advising requires that students meet with their academic advisors at least once each year, and in some departments or if you are an Exploratory student, prior to each semester’s enrollment. That means you need to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to select courses for the upcoming semester. Your advisor will reset your advising hold after your appointment so that you can register for classes. Meeting with your advisor every semester helps keep you on track for meeting your graduation goal.

Who is my advisor?

If you have not yet declared a major, or you have changed your major to undecided, you are assigned an academic advisor in the CLAS Advising Center. You can use this app on One.IU to find out who your advisor is or you can contact Paul Foltz at 574-520-4537. (For some advisors Paul will be able to schedule the appointment also.) 

After you declare a major, your advising will continue with a faculty member or professional advisor in that major. You can use this app on One.IU to find out who your advisor is. If you know who your advisor is, please contact him or her directly by e-mail.

How do I declare a major or change my major?

First talk to your advisor about your plans. Make sure you are well informed about the requirements for your intended major. If possible, talk to a faculty member in the field you intend to major in. Then go to the student service office of the unit where your current major is housed and fill out the appropriate form. If you are currently undecided and want to declare a major in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences you can fill out this form, or you can contact Paul Foltz in the Advising Center Office on the 3rd floor of Wiekamp Hall (DW3300B). 

Where do I find a list of classes that

What is the process for grade replacement? Where do I get the form?

Here is the link to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Student Policies, including the

  • Academic Renewal Policy & Petition and the
  • Grade Replacement Policy & Form

The forms should be submitted to: DW3300B.

If you apply for grade replacements, speak with your academic advisor about graduation rules to make sure your actions are working favorably for you (priority should be given to grade replacing courses in your major so that you can achieve the required 2.0 cum GPA in your major courses).

Note that these policies are CLAS policies and are not the same in other units on campus. Note also that financial aid counts EVERY attempt of a class when considering the student’s satisfactory academic progress rate (therefore ignoring grade replacement or academic forgiveness).

Where is the semester calendar and more?

Why is it important to see my advisor?

Academic advising from professional and faculty advisors is highly recommended and is a very important aspect of a successful college experience. Sometimes students think that friends, family members and classmates are a good source of academic advising only to later discover that the advice from these sources was not accurate or not complete. Academic advisors, on the other hand, stay up to date with all the degree programs, services, and opportunities available on campus.

Make an appointment with your academic advisor now!