Student Policies and Procedures

Academic Renewal

The Academic Renewal policy establishes an effective way to encourage capable, mature students to be admitted to Indiana University South Bend when they have been academically unsuccessful during an earlier attempt at higher education at Indiana University. Academic renewal can be used only once in a student's career. 
Academic Renewal Policy       Academic Renewal Petition

Grade Replacement

The Grade Replacement Policy allows a student to repeat a course and remove the weight of the earlier grade from his or her cumulative grade point average (GPA). The grade from the first completion of the course remains on the student's transcript but is followed by an "X,"which indicates that the grade is not included in the GPA. The restrictions on use of grade replacement can be found on the application form.

Grade Replacement Application form

Graduation Application/Deadlines

An application for an undergraduate degree or certificate must be filed in the office (Wiekamp 3300B) of the Coordinator of Student Services, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, not later than October 1 for May and August graduations, or March 1 for December graduation. All credit hours of candidates for degrees, except those of the current semester, must be on record at least six weeks prior to the conferring of degrees. Credit hours by correspondence must be on record at least three weeks prior to the conferring of degrees.

Application for Graduation

Probation, Dismissal, and Readmission

A College of Liberal Arts and Sciences student who has completed one or more IU South Bend GPA hours and has a cumulative grade point average below 2.0 is placed on probation. A probationary student remains on probation until the cumulative GPA reaches 2.0 or higher. A student who is on probation and fails to achieve a semester (fall, spring, or combined summer session) GPA of at least 2.0 will be placed on probation with impact.  Failure to raise one's grade point average can lead to dismissal from the university.  Once dismissed, students must apply to be readmitted.

CLAS students on academic probation must register for classes at least 30 days before the start of the semester.  Students who transfer to the College after having been dismissed from a different IU campus must apply for probationary admission, using the Readmission Form, to continue their studies at IU South Bend.
Readmission Policy       Application for Readmission