Welcome to Indiana University South Bend Dental Hygiene!
Our program is fully accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation. We value the dental profession, have a strong committment to furthering dental hygiene education, and have a passion for the oral health of each person in our community.
Mission of the Department of Dental Hygiene
The mission of the programs in dental education is to be a leader in providing high quality education and clinical experiences to undergraduate students for future roles as oral health professionals. The program is committed to excellence in the theory and practice of dental hygiene and in the development of competent, socially sensitive, culturally diverse, and ethically responsible professionals.
At the completion of the dental hygiene program students will be able to:
- Exhibit the highest level of professionalism.
- Deliver high quality patient care by the use of sound judgment, critical thinking skills, and evidence based decision making.
- Emphasize the role of the dental hygienist as a patient educator involved in community health engagement activities related to health promotion and disease prevention.
To be able to fulfill the requirements of a Bachelor Degree in Dental Hygiene and promote the overall program goals, graduates of the Department in Dental Hygiene at Indiana University South Bend will be able to:
- Apply didactic information through patient care.
- Demonstrate critical thinking through writing, speaking and listening.
- Adhere to the ethical, legal and professional codes of conduct expected of the dental hygiene practitioner.
- Evaluate the different career roles of the dental hygienist.
- Design oral health community events that provide solutions to access to care and health education.
We look forward to inspiring new oral health care professionals! Please contact our department for more information.
* Our Associate's of Science in Dental Hygiene was discontinued effective Fall 2012.