W200 / R305 CLEP Test Information
For students who began their college career at IU South Bend in Summer 2012 or before, the pre-requisite for EDUC-W200 or EDUC-R503 (all sections) is a passing grade in A106 Introduction to Computing offered by the Department of Computer Science (or similar introductory computing and computing applcations course) or take (and pass with a score of 50+) the CLEP test entitled: Information Systems & Computer Applications.
Please note that the vast majority of students meet the prerequisite through traditional coursework such as A106 or an equivalent course.
The Information Systems & Computer Application CLEP Test is designed to measure whether or not a student has the skills/knowledge equivalent to the objectives of A106 Introduction to Computing. The test is NOT affiliated with the School or Education, or educational computing. The subject matter of the Information Systems and Computer Applications exam is drawn from the following topics.
Approximate percent of topics on the examination:
- 20% Computer/Telecommunications Hardware and Hardware Functions
- 15% Computer Software/Programming
- 10% Data Management
- 20% Information Processing Management
- 30% Information Technology Applications in Organizations
- 5% Social/Ethical Implications and Issues
The test is a computer-based exam and takes approximately 2 hours to complete. Your unofficial results will be immediately available, while the official transcripts will be sent directly to IU South Bend. You will need to provide proof of passing the CLEP prior to enrollment in W200. If necessary, your unofficial results (as printed from the test center) will be accepted as an indicator of your completion (and passing with a score of 50+) of the test. You must have either the transcripts or unofficial results of your passing score in order to enroll in W200 or R503.
Other sites are available throughout the state. Visit http://www.collegeboard.com (the college board tests section) for more details. Payment is due prior to taking the test. Please contact the test center for details regarding payment. (Two separate payment checks may be required.)
- Bethel College – Mishawaka
- Bethel College offers the CLEP test by individual appointment. The approximate cost is $100. 1001 W McKinley Avenue Mishawaka, IN 46545 574-257-3360
- Ivy Tech State College
- Ivy Tech offers the CLEP test by individual appointment. Typical dates for test delivery are Wednesdays and Fridays. The approximate cost is $65. Contact Person: Deanna Gaut 220 Dean Johnson Blvd South Bend, IN 46601 574-289-7001 ext. 1235