The Office of Student Teaching places over 200 student teachers from the School of Education per academic year. The Office of Student Teaching monitors and tracks all placements. Students are placed in many areas of certification: Elementary, Secondary, and Special Education.
Criminal History Check
You may be required to provide a criminal history check to school districts before participating in field placements and/or student teaching. School districts may deny a field placement or student teaching assignment based on a misdemeanor or felony conviction. The application process for a teaching license in Indiana requires a current criminal history check. Convicted felons may not hold a teaching license in Indiana.
Student Teaching - Cultural Immersion Opportunities
Are you interested in student teaching in a different culture? Consider the Cultural Immersion Projects! Although this program is based in Bloomington, IU South Bend students may and are encouraged to participate! Visit http://education.indiana.edu/undergraduate/immersion/index.html for more information.
- The Overseas Project places students in England, Scotland, Wales, Australia, Costa Rica, Republic of Ireland, India, Kenya, New Zealand, and Taiwan.
- The American Indian Reservation Project places students in The Navajo Nation (Utah, Arizona, New Mexico)
Student Teaching Seminar
- Culminating Project Description for K-12 Special Education, Special Education Concentrations in Elementary and Secondary Education, and MAT Programs
Resources for Student Teachers
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Resolving Problems - Discontinuing Student Teaching
- Student Teaching from Start to Finish
- Phasing IN and OUT of Student Teaching
- SchoolTree.Org---Information for schools in St. Joseph County
Student Teaching Handbooks
- Elementary Education Co-teaching Handbook - Spring 2015
- Secondary Co-teaching Handbook - Spring 2015
- Special Education Student Teaching Handbook - Undergraduate - Sp 2015
- Special Education Student Teaching Handbook - Graduate - Sp 2015