Welcome! The Creative Writing Program at IU South Bend is an active community of student and faculty writers who meet both in class and in the community to share our passion for writing. Courses are offered at the B.A. and M.A. levels, and we offer a Minor in Creative Writing. M.A. students may pursue a creative thesis project in fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, or screenwriting.
Director of Creative Writing: Dr. Kelcey Ervick
Updated info on faculty, courses, and events: IUSB Creative Writing Blog
Highlights of the Creative Writing Program
- Excellent Faculty Writers The creative writing faculty are active writers with extensive publications. View Faculty Profiles.
- 42 Miles Press and the 42 Miles Poetry Award The IU South Bend English Department is the home of the annual poetry book prize, the 42 Miles Poetry Award. This award was created in an effort to bring fresh and original voices to the poetry reading public. The winning poet receives $1,000 and publication of his or her book by 42 Miles Press, based in the English Department at IU South Bend.
- Center for Excellence in Literary Arts & Publishing (CELAP) The Creative Writing Program is committed to training and involving students in Literary Publishing, and the program director has been awarded a Strategic Initiatives Grant to develop a Center for Excellence in Literary Arts and Publishing (CELAP).
- Annual Author Series Each school year, the Creative Writing Program brings 4-6 prominent writers to campus to give a reading and meet with students to discuss their work, the writer's life, and publishing. Recent visiting authors
- Student Writing Awards The Department of English holds an annual contest for Student Writing in fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, and drama. The winners are honored at an annual event in April, held in honor of former English professor and IUSB Chancellor, Lester Wolfson. The guest judge gives a reading at the event where students are honored. Previous winners
- Analecta IU South Bend's award-winning literary journal that features the best creative writing and art from IUSB students. The journal is published annually by student editors and advised by Clayton Michaels. Visit Analecta's web page here.
- Minor in Creative Writing - Open to IUSB students of any major. View requirements. Advisor is Clayton Michaels.
- M.A. in English, Creative Writing Track with Thesis project in fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, and screenwriting. Graduate Program