Minors and Certificates
MINOR IN ENGLISH
MINOR IN CREATIVE WRITING
English majors may minor in Creative Writing if they choose the literature concentration in the major. In place of the ENG-L 202 requirement for the minor, English majors take any creative writing course. In addition, they have the option to substitute another creative writing course for the literary survey requirement of the minor
Clayton Michaels firstname.lastname@example.org is the Advisor for the Creative Writing Minor
MINOR IN FILM STUDIES
Minor Requirements >>
AREA CERTIFICATE IN PROFESSIONAL WRITING (12 hrs.)
Our program offers introductory and in-depth courses that prepare students for the types of writing they will encounter within and outside of the university. Our program places strong emphasis on writing in a variety of contexts, on writing for multiple audiences, on incorporating multimedia current in the field and on collaboration and community service.
An IU-South Bend Area Certificate in Professional Writing will help you become a more conifdent writer and prepare you for a professional career. The certificate offers opportunities to:
- Create professional documents used in the workplace
- Develop your document design skills
- Enhance your document writing skills
- Strengthen your editing skills
- Identify language strategy for compelling written arguments
- Promote collaborative thinking to enhance professional interactions
- Produce a professional resume, cover letter, and other application materials that target specific career choices and will help you stand out in the job market
Registration is easy and only takes a few minutes. To officially declare an Area Certificate in Professional Writing, please see Paul Foltz in DW 3300B to fill out the paperwork. He can be reached by email: email@example.com or phone: (574) 520-4537. If you have any questions, please contact the Professional Writing Committee Chair, Dr. Jackie Collins, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A grade of C or above is required in W131 or the equivalent before a student can gain entry into the program.
- Students need to officially declare the Certificate in Professional Writing before earning credits in the second or third tier.
- Students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher in certificate courses to attain the Professional Writing Certificate.
Professional Writing Committee: