AREA CERTIFICATE IN PROFESSIONAL WRITING (12 hrs.)
Click here for the Area Certificate in Professional Writing brochure
Our program offers introductory and in-depth courses that prepare students for the types of writing they will encounter within and outside of the university. Our program places strong emphasis on writing in a variety of contexts, on writing for multiple audiences, on incorporating multimedia current in the field and on collaboration and community service.
An IU-South Bend Area Certificate in Professional Writing will help you become a more conifdent writer and prepare you for a professional career. The certificate offers opportunities to:
- Create professional documents used in the workplace
- Develop your document design skills
- Enhance your document writing skills
- Strengthen your editing skills
- Identify language strategy for compelling written arguments
- Promote collaborative thinking to enhance professional interactions
- Produce a professional resume, cover letter, and other application materials that target specific career choices and will help you stand out in the job maket
Registration is easy and only takes a few minutes. To officially declare an Area Certificate in Professional Writing, please see Paul Foltz in DW 3300B to fill out the paperwork. He can be reached by email: email@example.com or phone: (574) 520-4537. If you have any questions, please contact the Professional Writing Committee Chair, Dr. Jackie Collins, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A grade of C or above is required in W131 or the equivalent before a student can gain entry into the program.
- Students need to officially declare the Certificate in Professional Writing before earning credits in the second or third tier.
- Students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher in certificate courses to attain the Professional Writing Certificate.
Professional Writing Certifcate Courses:
The student should complete 12 credit hours from the following courses:
First Tier - Mandatory courses: Students should choose at least three courses and may choose up to five courses from this tier.
- ENG-W231: Professional Writing Skills
- ENG-W232: Introduction to Business Writing
- ENG-W250: Writing in Context
- ENG-W315: Writing for the Web
- ENG-W367: Writing for Multiple Media
Second Tier - Optional courses: Students should choose no more than two courses from this tier.
- JOUR-J 341: Newspaper Reporting
- JOUR-J 351: Newspaper Editing
- TEL-T211: Writing for the Electronic Media
- ENG-W270: Argumentative Writing
Third Tier - Optional courses: Students should choose no more than one course from this tier.
- ENG-W260: Film Criticism
- ENG-W350: Advanced Expository Writing
- ENG-W301: Writing Fiction
- JOUR-J410: Media as Social Institutions
Professional Writing Committee: