Placement exam results are used to place students in courses appropriate to their skill level. All required exams must be completed ONE WEEK PRIOR to attending New Student Orientation. You will be asked to schedule to a future orientation if exams have not been completed one week prior to the orientation you are reserved for.
Math Exam (ALEKS)
The mathematics exam (ALEKS) is administered online. Click here to take the math exam.
Most students are required to take ALEKS. However, you are waived if:
- You have transferred in a math course from another college or university that is equivalent to a 100-level or above math course at IU South Bend;
- You took an IU South Bend math course as a high school student and received college credit for it;
- You received a passing score on an Advanced Placement (AP) exam.
- You took ALEKS at another college or university within a year.
The English exam is administered on the IU South Bend campus and the Elkhart Center. Click here for English exam reservations.
Note: If you live out of state or more than 2 hours from South Bend, please contact Rick Dennie in Student Services at email@example.com regarding alternative arrangements to take the exam.
Most students are required to take the English placement exam. However, you are waived if:
- You have transferred in the equivalent of IU South Bend course ENG-W131 from another college or university.
- You took ENG-W131 as a high school student and received credit for it..
- You received a score of 4 or above on the Advance Placement (AP) exam for English composition.
World Language Studies
Students who have studied French, German, Japanese, and/or Spanish are encouraged to take the World Language Studies exam for placement purposes.
Click here for the current world language studies exam schedule.
If you have any questions, please contact the Gateway Information Center.