Who Takes the Exam?
Most students are required to take the English placement exam. However, you are waived if:
- You have transferred in the equivalent of IU South Bend course ENG-W131 from another college or university.
- You took ENG-W131 as a high school student and received credit for it..
- You received a score of 4 or above on the Advance Placement (AP) exam for English composition.
The exam is used to determine the best level at which to begin studying composition at IU South Bend. You are asked to write an essay based on one of two essay prompts provided and can either handwrite or type your essay.
Note: If you live out of state or more than 2 hours from South Bend, please contact Rick Dennie in Student Services at email@example.com regarding alternative arrangements to take the exam.
You have 60 minutes to plan, write, and proofread your work. Your exam is evaluated for:
- Full development of your own ideas and opinions, supported by sound reasoning and relevant examples
- Careful organization of paragraphs and varied sentence structure
- Evidence of good reading comprehension
- Correct grammar, spelling, word usage, and syntax
If you have any questions, please contact the Gateway Information Center.