- Kristi Bly | BS, North Central College; lifestyle coach, speaker, writer, and entrepreneur with Evolving Paths
The START Program
The Skills, Tasks, and Results Training (START) Program developed by the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute is a curriculum designed to give GED+ students, high school students, and others re-entering the workforce the real-world knowledge and skills necessary to secure a long-term career in the lodging industry.
START provides training for 12 major positions in the hospitality industry, including front desk, reservations, housekeeping, bell services, restaurant service, banquet service, maintenance and more. Service, professionalism, safety, and career exploration are other important components of this program.
Students will also have the opportunity to participate in discussions with guest speakers, go on field trips, build resumes, and practice interviewing.
- Provides specific skills training that leads to professional certification
- Prepares students for entry-level lodging positions
- Promotes confidence and positive work ethic
- Provides smooth transition to possible higher-level hospitality positions
Upon completion of the program, and the passing of the certification exam, students will receive a START Certificate from the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute.
12 Mon./Wed. | Jan. 27-Apr. 16 | 9 a.m.-12 noon
12 Mon./Wed. | Jan. 27-Apr. 16 | 5-8 p.m.
Elkhart Center [register online]
Mon./Wed./Thurs./Fri. | Mar. 31-May 9 | 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
South Bend [register online]