Eligibility Requirements

Drug Free Campus Policy

Indiana University Code of Conduct

To receive federal aid you must:

Enroll and attend classes that count toward your degree or certificate. Classes tha are not a part of your academic plan are not eligible for financial aid.

Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States with a valid Social Security number. If you are a permanent resident, you must submit a copy of your permanent resident document to the Office of Financial Aid.

Be admitted to and enroll in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate. Nondegree, guest, and high school students are not eligible for financial assistance.

Be enrolled at least half time (some exceptions may apply). Half time is 6 credit hours for undergraduate students and 4 credit hours for graduate students.

Maintain satisfactory academic performance and progress to assure completion of your degree objectives.

Demonstrate financial need (for most types of financial aid). Need is the difference between the amount of contribution expected from you and your family and the cost of attendance.

Provide all verification information if required.

Not be default on any past student loans.

Men age 18 and older must register with the Selective Service (you can give the Selective Service permission to register you by checking the appropriate box on the FAFSA or you can register online at

Please note: Federal law suspends aid eligibility for students convicted of sale or possession of illegal drugs. The period of ineligibility for each student continues until the eligibility date arrives or the student completes an acceptable drug rehabilitation program. If you have ever been convicted of any of these offenses, call 1-800-433-3243 to find out how, or if, this law applies to you. Students who are unsure of their status may use the following link to determine eligibility for aid.

Before You Drop that Class

What you need to know about withdrawing from a class and how it affects your aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

All students, continuing as well as first time applicants, who apply for state and federal financial aid (including loans) at IU South Bend are required to meet or exceed a set of standards in order to receive aid. 

SAP Policies and FAQs

Selected for Verfication?

Complete the verfication tutorial and submit all required documentation.