Complete your FAFSA
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application for most types of financial aid processed through our office. Students should complete the FAFSA before March 1st each year to be considered for the maximum amount of financial aid. Completing the FAFSA late can cause delays in financial aid processing and, since some awards are limited, may limit the financial aid a student will receive.
IU South Bend School Code: 001816
IRS Data Retrieval Option for 2013-2014 FAFSA
Beginning February 3, 2013, you may transfer tax information directly to your financial aid application using the IRS Data Retrieval option within the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Selecting this option will streamline and expedite the processing of your financial aid application.
You may use the IRS Data Retrieval option if you:
- Have filed a federal tax return with the IRS (1-2 weeks before completing the FAFSA for electronic tax return. 6-8 weeks for paper tax returns.)
- Have a valid social security number
- Have a Federal Aid Personal Identification Number (PIN).
You will be unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval option if:
- Your marital status changes after December 31, 2012
- You filed married filing separately
- You filed an amended return
- You filed a foreign tax return
Remember, the IU South Bend and State of Indiana FAFSA priority date is March 1st. You may use estimated tax information on the FAFSA and select the "Will File" option if you will not file your tax return before the March 1st priority date. After you file your taxes, please remember to update your FAFSA and change your status to "Already Filed" and select the IRS Data Retrieval option