Fundamental Lit. or Contemporary Social Values Course Proposals
Instructions for Submitting Proposals:
I. Existing Course already taught at IUSB. For already existing IUSB courses that seek gen ed approval, one approval process is required:
General Education Committee Approval Process:
- Review the description of the appropriate general education course category. See below.
- Fill out the course approval form and draft a proposed syllabus.
- Submit the course proposal form along with the proposed syllabus in electronic form to firstname.lastname@example.org
II. New Course never taught at IUSB that requires a new course number. For new course numbers, two approval processes are required:
CARMin New Course Approval Process - Step I
- Check with the person in your unit (chair, unit head) about obtaining a course number for use on this campus. Alternatively, you may call MaryAnn Iaria at 812-855-2218 to reserve a course number for use on this campus.
- Once the course number has been reserved, submit a new course request through CARMin : log onto your onestart account > services > faculty systems > curriculum management > initiate new course/change course request.
- Upon submission to CARMin, the course proposal needs to go through the campus approval process (unit chair/area coordinator, unit curriculum committee, unit dean, General Education Committee, Senate Curriculum Committee, VCAA’s Office).
- Once it has been approved through the campus process, the proposal is submitted for remonstrance for a 30 day period to all the IU campuses, before final approval of the new course number is complete.
General Education Committee Approval Process - Step 2
- At the time you are submitting the new course approval forms to CARMin, you should also be working on the General Education Course Approval procedures outlined above. The General Education course approval documents should be submitted to the Senate General Education Committee once the new course proposal has been approved by your unit Curriculum Committee. Because the forms are different for CARMin and Gen Ed approval, it is important that you keep track of where your course proposal is in the approval process. Gen Ed courses requiring new numbers will not be reviewed by the Senate Gen Ed committee until notification of their approval by the unit Curriculum Committee has been received by the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs' office. Once the course has been approved by the Senate General Education Committee, it will be forwarded to the Senate Curriculum Committee to continue its remonstrance process.
III. New course for IUSB but is already an existing course in the IU Master Course Inventory (i.e., it is a course offered at another IU campus but has not been offered at IUSB.)
- If the course number already exists in the IU Master Course Inventory, you must submit a course request through CARMin: log onto your onestart account > services > faculty systems > curriculum management > initiate new course/change course request. This is called a matching course.
- Follow the instructions as listed above for steps 1 and 2.
For new gened courses requiring CARMin approval, it is highly recommended that you begin this process at least one year before the semester you plan to offer the course. The process for course approval entails multiple levels (dept., unit Curriculum Committee, Dean, Senate General Education Committee, Senate Curriculum Committee, VCAA's office, 30 day remonstrance) so it can take up to six months for final approval and perhaps longer if there are questions/revisions/corrections that need to be made at various levels of review.
Guidelines and Forms. Click the relevant links below:
Contemporary Social Values:
Questions about this process should be forwarded to email@example.com