Mission: To assist you in designing a comprehensive plan of study which achieves the traditional objectives of a university education and meets your personal and professional goals.
General Studies academic advisors are available on a regular basis for consultation with students in person, by telephone and e-mail. Advisors work in partnership with students to assist in developing an appropriate academic program. However, the primary responsibility for developing a suitable program of study and for meeting all degree requirements rests with the student.
To assist in this ongoing process, students have confidential web access to both their transcript and to their General Studies degree plan of study to help them maintain an up-to-date record of their progress toward degree completion. This information is available through OneStart.
In addition, the one-credit course, GNST-G 203 Introduction to General Studies, is offered in the fall, spring and first summer sessions. The purpose of this course is to assist students in developing a personal plan of study to complete the B.G.S. degree. This course is required of all B.G.S. students.
In order to fully benefit from your advising experience, it is imperative that you properly prepare for your academic advising appointments. This begins before you even call to schedule your appointment! When calling, be prepared to provide:
- Your name as it appears in OneStart (Be mindful of name changes, Bob vs. Robert, etc.)
- Your Student ID number
- A phone number where you can be reached in case of unexpected changes to the appointment time or the need for further information
- Your availability
- The reason(s) for your visit
Be aware that appointment times will fill well in advance of registration and other peak periods. Plan your needs accordingly! Prior to meeting with your advisor, you must
- Check your OneStart account for your registration time
- Check your OneStart account for holds on your record, especially those that will prevent registration
- Review your most recent Degree Progress Report (DPR)
- Review your Degree Completion Plan that you developed in GNST-G 203 Introduction to General Studies
- Consult the Schedule of Classes for the upcoming semester(s)
- Select a preferred schedule and place the courses into your shopping cart (make sure you have completed the prerequisites for the courses you choose!)
- Select alternative courses as a back-up plan
- Bring the following with you to your appointment:
- Your most recent DPR
- Your preferred schedule and alternatives
- Your Degree Completion Plan from G203
- Your Advising Toolkit (see below)
Advising Toolkit (Handouts)
- Distribution Areas
- DSST Exams
- General Education Requirements: Approved courses
- Information Session Checklist
Additional Advising Resources (Websites)
Dr. Dave Vollrath, Interim Director
Please call the General Studies office at 574-520-4260 for available Information Sessions.