Credit Options

IU South Bend

GNST-G 481 Professional Internship
Professional internships allow students to explore a potential career field, develop skills and make practical applications of classroom theory.  GNST-G 481 provides an opportunity to improve marketability while earning credit toward the B.G.S.  The completed internship contract must be submitted to the instructor prior to receiving authorization to enroll in GNST-G 481.

World Language Studies placement exams

Credit certificate in Paralegal Studies through the Department of Political Science

Indiana University

Credits earned previously at any Indiana University campus should apply toward a General Studies degree. We can apply a maximum of 50 credits previously earned at Indiana University toward the Associate of Arts in General Studies, and a maximum of 100 credits toward the Bachelor of General Studies. We can apply courses in which you earned grades of D+, D, or D- as elective credit only; we cannot use them to satisfy your course distribution or fundamental skills requirements.

Other Institutions

Credits earned at other regionally accredited colleges and universities should apply toward a General Studies degree. We may apply a maximum of 45 hours of transfer credit from other regionally accredited colleges or universities toward the A.A.G.S. and a maximum of 90 hours toward the B.G.S. A maximum of 60 credits may transfer from community colleges. Your transfer credits will be evaluated by the IU South Bend Office of Admissions.

External Examinations

You can earn credit by passing the following examinations. Credits earned through these exams are treated as transfer credit. No more than 15 credits toward the A.A.G.S. and no more than 30 credits toward the B.G.S. may be awarded for successful completion of external exams.

DSST Credit by Exam Program (Dantes Subject Standardized Tests)
CLEP (College Level Examination Program)
Excelsor College Examinations

Military Service

Indiana University follows the American Council on Education's Guide to Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in granting credit on the basis of education gained through military service, schools, and experience. To receive credit for your military service background, you must submit copies of your official release from military service (DD214) to the IU South Bend Office of Admissions.

Educational Programs in Noncollegiate Organizations

We consider the recommendations of the following two publications when awarding credit for noncollegiate or company-sponsored programs/courses: American Council on Education, The National Guide to Education Credit for Training Programs; and The University of the State of New York, A Guide to Educational Programs in Noncollegiate Organizations. Contact your General Studies advisor to see if your training programs are included. To apply for credit for noncollegiate educational programs you have successfully completed, ask the awarding organization to send official records of program/course completion.

Additional Opportunities

Receive credit for completion of the Indiana State Police Academy training program