Answers to Your Frequently Asked Questions

What can I do with a general studies degree?

General studies graduates have pursued careers in dozens of fields and have used their degrees to continue their education in graduate and professional schools. For more information, click here to go to careers.

How long does it take to earn a general studies degree?

The amount of time depends on the number of credit hours you've already earned and may apply toward your general studies degree, the type of general studies degree you're pursuing (associate or bachelor's), and the amount of time you devote to your course work. Your general studies academic advisor can work with you to plan a course of study that suits your schedule.

May I transfer previously earned credits to my Indiana University degree?

Yes, if the college or university you attended is accredited by a regional association (for example, the North Central Association). Once we've received your credentials and the IU South Bend Office of Admissions has evaluated and posted your official transcripts, you will be able to view your transferred credits through your OneStart account. At that time, contact our office to schedule an appointment; we will show you how your previous courses meet degree requirements and indicate the types of courses you must still complete to earn your degree.

How may credits based on my military service apply toward my degree?

Indiana University adheres to the American Council on Education's Guide to Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in granting credit on the basis of education gained through military service. To receive credit for military service, you must submit copies of your official release from the military (DD214) to the IU South Bend Office of Admissions.

How many previously earned college or university credits may I apply toward the degree?

If you are pursuing an associate degree, you may apply up to 45 transfer credit hours toward your degree. If you are pursuing a bachelor's degree, you may apply up to 90 transfer credit hours toward your degree, with a maximum of 64 credits from community or junior colleges. Please note: We apply transfer credit hours only if they fit into the general studies degree plan.

What are course distribution requirements?

The phrase "course distribution requirements" refers to three learning areas in the College of Arts and Sciences: arts and humanities, science and mathematics, and social and behavioral sciences. In order to earn a general studies degree, you must earn a minimum of 12 credits in each of the three learning areas. For the Bachelor of General Studies, you must earn an additional 18 credits in one of the three areas which becomes your concentration. You must also earn additional credits in electives, some of which must come from the College of Arts and Sciences. For more information, go to course distribution requirements.

What are fundamental skills requirements?

For both the A.A.G.S. and the B.G.S., you must meet fundamental skills requirements that demonstrate college-level competency in five areas: written communication (two courses are required), oral communication, quantitative reasoning, diversity, and computer literacy. On the IU South Bend campus, you must earn a grade of C (2.0) or higher in courses taken to meet the fundamental skills requirements.

What are campus general education requirements?

In addition to meeting the course distribution requirements and fundamental skills set forth by the IU School of Continuing Studies, all graduates of IU South Bend must meet the campus general education requirements. In the General Studies Degree Program, some of these courses overlap with those that meet our fundamental skills requirements. In these instances, one course can be used to satisfy both requirements, providing you earn a grade of C (2.0) or higher. For more information, go to campus general education requirements.

Does the General Studies Degree allow credit for CLEP or DSST exams?

Yes, the General Studies Degree Program allows credit for certain College-Level Examination Programs (CLEP), DSST, and Excelsior College Examinations.