Academic Forgiveness Policies

Grade Replacement Policy

The purpose of the Grade Replacement Policy is to allow an IU South Bend student who has done poorly in a course to repeat the course and remove the weight of the earlier grade from the student's cumulative grade point average. You may exercise the Grade Replacement option no more than once for a given course. The Grade Replacement Policy is limited to three courses totaling no more than 10 credits.

If you want to use the Grade Replacement Policy, go to the CLAS Student Services office in DW3300B to fill out an application.

General Studies Academic Forgiveness

The academic forgiveness policy avoids placing an excessive burden on you if you have previously made an unsatisfactory start at Indiana University. The policy is not intended to enable you to stay in school if you have chronically poor academic performance or to raise false expectations if you are not making progress toward your degree.

If you have successfully completed 12 credit hours in the General Studies Degree Program (with a minimum GPA of 2.0), you may request to use one or both of the following policies:

At your option, grades of D or F earned at Indiana University five years or more before you were admitted to the General Studies Degree Program may be deleted from our internal record. The cumulative GPA on the Indiana University transcript will not change.

You may request forgiveness of a unsatisfactory semester or 12 credit hours of part-time work at Indiana University if the semester/12 credit hours is/are within a five-year period before your admission to the General Studies Degree Program. Although all Indiana University courses remain on your permanent record, we can exclude all credits you attempted and grade points you earned during this unsatisfactory semester/12 credit hours when computing your School of Continuing Studies GPA.

If you exercise this option, none of the grades and credits you earned during the unsatisfactory semester/12 credit hours are applicable to your general studies degree. Therefore, you are advised to consult with your general studies advisor about this policy's advisability.

Important: Although the options above allow unsatisfactory grades to be removed from our internal record, the grades remain on the official record maintained by the Office of the Registrar. The internal gpa will be reflected on your final transcript as your Degree GPA.

If you want to use the General Studies Academic Forgiveness Policy, please call 520-4260 to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor.

IU South Bend Academic Renewal

The academic renewal policy encourages capable, mature, undergraduate students to return to IU South Bend after they were academically unsuccessful during an earlier attempt at higher education within the Indiana University system. This policy pertains only to undergraduate students who do not have a bachelor's degree. Meant to apply campuswide to all IU South Bend academic units, the academic renewal option described here exists only on the IU South Bend campus and not on any other campus of Indiana University . Students who wish to apply for renewal must contact their respective academic units at the time of application for readmission. If renewal is granted, all grades earned prior to the renewal are no longer used in the calculation of the program grade point average, which is reset to zero.

For more information on the IU South Bend Academic Renewal Policy, click the link below:
Academic Renewal Policy

If you want to use the Academic Renewal Policy, please call 520-4260 to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor.