The Office of Housing and Residence Life Application and Contract is for the entire academic year, August through May. This form must be completed and submitted to the Office of Housing and Residence Life for review. Please read and understand the form and information below before signing. Submission of this form does not guarantee an approval of your request.
*** Students removed from housing for disciplinary reasons shall still remain liable for housing fees for the entire academic year (Fall and Spring semesters) ****
You may request a release from your contract and a waiver of the cancellation fees that would otherwise be applicable in the following circumstances: mid-term graduation, academic dismissal, withdrawing or transferring from the university, participation in an IU South Bend sponsored program such as an internship, overseas study, or the like (such as active military duty, or denied student visa applications). Your request must be supported by documentation in order to be granted. If your request to cancel is approved, you will be charged only pro-rated charges through the Cancellation Date and no contract breakage fee.
Your signed Housing and Residence Life Application & Contract is a financially and legally binding agreement with the University. You may request to break your contract for the following reasons:
- You are academically suspended/dismissed AND you notify the Office of Housing and Residence Life within ten (10) business days of the date indicated on your notice of suspension/dismissal. (A copy of supporting documentation MUST BE PROVIDED for a contract breakage request related to an academic suspension/dismissal).
- You are withdrawing or transferring from the university. (A copy of supporting documentation MUST BE PROVIDED for a contract breakage request related to withdrawing or transferring from the university).
- You participate in an approved IU South Bend sponsored off-campus program, such as student teaching or overseas study that requires you to be housed off the IU South Bend campus. (A copy of supporting documentation MUST BE PROVIDED with this request. This could include things such as a letter from a program director or appropriate school on letterhead detailing your participation in the desired program).
- You provide medical documentation of a serious medical problem or impending surgical procedure that makes it impossible for you to remain in campus housing.
- You graduate before the end of the contract period.
- You are called to active military duty. (You MUST provide a copy of your military orders and military ID card).
- Your student visa is revoked. (You MUST provide a copy of a letter from a government official on appropriate letterhead detailing visa revocation).
- You experience a change in personal finances that was unforeseen, and you took steps to prevent and remedy the issue(s). (A copy of supporting documentation MUST BE PROVIDED with this request).
- Examples of documentation: a special circumstances appeal with the Office of Financial Aid showing you were denied additional aid, and you believe you cannot rectify the situation in any reasonable manner, financial statements showing loss of main income of yourself or others that contribute to the funding of your academic education, etc.
If you meet one of the criteria above and wish to request to cancel your contract, you must obtain and complete the Request for Cancellation of Housing form. Forms are available from the Housing and Residence Life Office in the Community Building or below. When completing this form, you should include a description of the reasons for making the contract breakage request and enumerate steps you have taken to improve your situation in order to meet contractual obligations. The Request for Cancellation of Housing and Residence Life Contract form also allows you to request to have the cancellation fee waived as well.
The Request for Cancellation of Housing Contract form and supporting documentation must be submitted together and received by the Office of Housing and Residence Life. You, as the contracted resident, must inform the Office of Housing and Residence Life of your request to break your housing contract. In cases of military duty, a legal designee may act on your behalf should you be called to active duty within the 30 day notification period.
Should you choose to depart for any reason not listed above, you will be held to the terms of your contract in its entirety, including, but not limited to, applicable penalties and cancellation costs.