End of Year Closing Information
Please be sure to complete all of the following prior to your departure. Failure to do so will result in a fine for improper check-out. Take your time and read the following information carefully! The only real beneficiary is YOU!
Please note that the RAs are only part of the check-out process and are the University representative to check for initial damages. Once the building/houses are empty, members of the Housing and Residence Life senior staff (Residence Coordinator, Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life and a member of Facilities Management) will be assessing all of the building/houses property and public areas for damage. At that point fees will be assessed, students will be charged, and bills will be distributed stating the charges. Just because the RA does not find damage, does not mean that there will not be a charge once the Residence Coordinator (RC)/Assistant Director (AD) & Facilities Representative conducts their inspection. The RC/AD & Facilities Representative decides on whether there is evidence of damage.
This outlines how you need to prepare for check-out as well as complete the check-out process. By following everything outlined you will minimize your chances of being billed for any unnecessary fines. Please remember, following the information in this packet does not assess the damage and billing to the room. Consult your Resident Coordinator (RC) or a member of the Office of Housing and Residence Life staff for more information.
The Office of Housing and Residence Life would like to thank you in advance for your hard work and preparation for ending the year right! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call any RA or Housing at 574-520-5805/5800.
Good Luck with the rest of the semester, final exams, and have a safe summer!
SOME INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW IN PREPARATION FOR CLOSING:
Completely clear off both sides of your bedroom door, common area door, and bathroom door. Bedroom walls, common room walls, and all ceilings, windows and sliding door.
Discuss with your apartment-mate(s) who is responsible for damage(s) in your room/common area/bathroom. Please let your RA know who’s claiming responsibility in writing with everyone’s signature. (This needs to be submitted before any member checks out of the area.)
Clear everything in and around the bed.
Please make sure you properly clean your refrigerator PRIOR to leaving.
Make sure to check emails for any last minute updates or procedural changes to ensure your interests are best met!
Clear out all of your personal belongings from your bedroom/bathroom/living area walls. Check all your drawers, closets, and under the bed to make sure you didn’t forget anything. Once you leave, it gets tossed!
Clean your room! Leaving your room in a spotless condition will ensure you are not charged for any cleaning fees/fines.
Vacuum, dust, and/or wipe down all surfaces.
Scrub out your recycling container. (It must be clean and dry).
Remove ALL tape, sticky stuff, & adhesives from walls, shelves, doors, windows, etc. Make sure you are following the removal procedures for any 3M hooks you have on your walls or other surfaces (hold hook down firmly while you pull on the bottom tab of the adhesive strip). If there is wall damage after improper removal of any of the mentioned items there will be a $50 minimum charge for wall cleaning/repair.
Beds must be fully assembled, in the lowest possible position.
Be sure that your bedroom/common area/bathroom has all the furniture that was provided by Indiana University South Bend placed back into their spaces that they were originally in (EX. Coffee table back into living room, side chairs back into living room, etc.)
Take all trash to the dumpsters. Furniture or trash left behind in the building will lead to personal or common area fines. NOTE: PUBLIC AREA FINES CANNOT BE REVERSED OR APPEALED!
All residents must sign up for either a Traditional or Express Check-Out. Vacating without doing one or the other will result in an improper check-out fee and/or replacement key charges.
Reminder: All residents will be held accountable for destruction of any University property/furniture through inappropriate means (i.e. tossing out window).
PLEASE DECIDE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO A TRADITIONAL CHECK-OUT OR THE EXPRESS OPTION.
(Please read further for the “Express Check-Out” Option)
Appointments will be posted and available to you no later than Monday April 27, 2015 at the Community Building Front Desk. Please remember you must be out 24 hours after your last exam.
My appointment date & time: ________________________
I am checking out with RA: _________________________
They are located in: _______________________________
Pick a day and time slot for when you plan on leaving. Write your name and room number in the time slot that you request with the RA of your choice. RAs will be stationed at the community building front desk. You will report to the front desk of the community building to meet your RA. Failure to show during your scheduled date and time will result in you rescheduling your check-out time / being charged improper check-out fees. Remember only one name per slot unless you and your apartment-mates are leaving at the same time.
We ask that you sign up 24 hours in advance. If you didn’t sign up, they may not be around or available to check you out, and it means you will be charged an improper check-out!
Call your rides/moving means now to confirm days and times, and then sign up ASAP. Remember the RA are students too that have finals and papers to complete!
FOR THOSE NOT GRADUATING:
- You need to be moved out no later than Friday, May 8, 2015 at 5 pm. OR 24 hours after your last exam.
FOR THOSE GRADUATING:
- All students must be moved out no later than Wednesday, May 13, 2015at 12 noon.
EXPRESS CHECK-OUT OPTION:
All residents have the right to choose Express Check Out. All you need to do is stop by River Crossing Community Building the day before you check out and pick up an express check out form.
- Fill out the form legibly and completely.
- Place your keys (apartment and bedroom door and mailbox)/key cards/etc. in the attached envelope.
- Return the express check-out envelope to the front desk of community building between the hours of 8am – 11pm (Monday-Friday), 12 noon – 11pm (Saturday and Sunday).
- You are then ready to leave for your summer break.
When you elect to Express Check Out, you sign a contract saying you understand you relinquish your rights to appeal any damages and fines accessed to your room/bathroom/common area.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS & CONCERNS:
1. What are some examples of possible charges?
- Improper Check Out: $40
- Excessive Cleaning: $50 - $125
- Lost Key: $25 - $165
2. When do I have to vacate the Residence Hall?
- All students not graduating must be checked out no later than 24 hours after their last exam. If your last exam is Thursday, May 7, 2015; you have until 5p.m. to check out.
- All students who are graduating must be checked out no later than Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 12 noon.
3. What if I am assisting/working graduation?
- Anyone who is assisting/working graduation or has a problem departing by the appropriate time due to travel or late exams MUST inform the Office of Housing and Residence Life via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org of the situation ASAP.
- PLEASE DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO INFORM ANYONE OF YOUR SITUATION. The buildings will officially close on Friday, May 8, 2015 at 5pm. Anyone staying after this point must be signed up for Summer Housing; otherwise, you risk a late checkout fee.
4. May I leave items in the hallway?
- Unfortunately not, all hallways must remain clear of personal belongings and trash in case of emergency. Make sure all personal furniture is taken off campus with labeled belongings; otherwise it may be mistaken for trash!
5. Where can I park my car while packing?
- Whatever you do, don’t block the dumpsters and walkways! We will have so much trash that the trash trucks will be running constantly. Your car WILL get towed from the dumpster/walkways area if left there.
6. How can I avoid a long wait when I’m ready?
- Make that appointment with your RA.
- Arrive on time for your appointment.
- Appointments are available on a first come/first serve basis.
- If the time you want has already been taken by another resident check with other RA’s or sign up for a different time. Remember that you also have the option of completing an Express Check Out if no other time is convenient.
7. Where can I obtain an Express Check Out form?
- You may obtain one from the community building main desk.
- The community building is open:
- 8 a.m. – 12 midnight (Monday thru Friday)
- 12 noon – 12 midnight (Saturday and Sunday)
8. How can I avoid fines?
- By following the procedures listed above, checking out in your scheduled time, handing in your keys; and leaving your room in good, clean conditioned, you minimize the chance of a fine. Also, by holding people accountable for abandoning things in hallways and lounges you can minimize common area damage charges. DON’T FORGET TO CLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR THINGS IN WRITING!