Procedures for Transfer of Campus Records
- The disposition of University records should be managed according to a records disposition schedule, which would indicate how long specific record series should be retained. If your records have not been scheduled, please contact Alison Stankrauff, Campus Archivist at extension 4392, or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not destroy records that have not been scheduled.
- Please do not send records to the Campus Archives without first consulting with IUSB Archivist, Alison Stankrauff.
- The Archives prefers annual transfers of these records. To set up a transfer schedule, contact an archivist for assistance.
- When you are ready to transfer records, notify the Archives at extension 4392, or contact Archivist Alison Stankrauff via e-mail at email@example.com.
- When you first contact the Archives, you will be provided with an Accession Number, which will uniquely identify every box in that particular accession. Please record this number on the Transmittal/Inventory Form (see below) and on each box for that accession.
- If you are transferring a large volume of records, the Archivist will first examine the records onsite.
- If you detect the presence of mold, mildew, insects, etc., in your records, please contact the Archivist immediately, and she will examine the records onsite.
- Complete the Archives Transmittal/Inventory Form. A signature from the person responsible for the records is required.
Packing and labeling of the boxes
- Files should be transferred in archival record center boxes. These boxes can be obtained by contacting the University Archives.
- Records should be packed in the order in which they were kept in the office.
- Records should be in file folders that are labeled with a folder title and inclusive dates.
- Hanging file folders should be replaced with regular file folders.
- Each box should be labeled in pencil with the accession number and the box number.
- A completed and signed Transmittal/Inventory Form should be included in the first box of the shipment.
- A complete box and folder inventory for the accession should be created in Microsoft Word or in plain text, and the data transferred to the Archives on a disk.
Last Reviewed: 03/2014