Michele C. Russo Library Services Student Worker Scholarship
IU South Bend Library Services recognize that our student workers are essential to maintaining our services, collections and operations. To reward those who are students as well as employees of the Franklin D. Schurz Library and Dorothy J. Wiekamp Educational Resource Commons, the Michele C. Russo Library Services Student Worker Scholarship Endowment has established a scholarship for undergraduate and graduate student employees at the IU South Bend Libraries. Awards are based upon scholarship and outstanding work in the Schurz Library or Wiekamp Educational Resource Commons (WERC) without regard to race, gender, religion, age, physical disability or sexual orientation. Winners are announced in the spring and awarded in the fall semester.
CONGRATULATIONS to the 2016 award recipient: Amanda Miller. Amanda is a highly motivated student who puts customer service first!
The Award requirements are as follows:
- Currently employed in the Schurz Library or WERC.
- Worked 3 completed semesters in the library, not necessarily consecutive.* (Summer session I & summer session II will be considered as one semester worked.)
- Enrolled in a degree seeking program.
- Maintains an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher.
Previous winners are eligible in subsequent years.
- The scholarship is publicized at meetings and via email to student workers and student supervisors. Supervisors should encourage qualified students to apply.
- Applications may be picked up in the Library Administrative Office - Room 304, from student supervisors, or emailed upon request.
- Completed applications, including letters of recommendation must be received by 5:00 p.m. on February 15. Late applications will not be accepted.* (If either of these dates fall on a weekend, the applications or letters will be accepted through the following Monday.)
- The Dean of Library Services appoints a Selection Committee of faculty, staff and librarians. After reviewing the applications, the Committee forwards the recommended name(s) and proposed award amounts to the Dean.
- The Dean of Library Services makes the final decision by April 1.
If the Selection Committee and the Dean of Library Services agree that there are no qualified applicants, no award need be given in a particular year.
Conferring of Awards:
- Announcement of the winner(s) are made at the Library’s Spring Library Awards reception.
- The Office of Financial Aid is notified in writing of the award recipients and their awards.
- Funds are transferred from the Michele C. Russo Library Services Student Worker Scholarship Endowment foundation account to the Office of Financial Aid with instructions to apply funds to the following semester financial aid package(s) of the awardee(s). Funds may be spent as needed without restrictions.
Student Worker Application Form [PDF]