Preparing a Thesis Proposal
After the initial selection of the thesis topic and the major advisor,
- The student and the advisor will identify the other members of the student's committee, and inform the director. (See Thesis Proposal Route Sheet)
- The student and the advisor will develop the proposal through several iterations until both are satisfied. (See Proposal Format)
- The proposal is submitted to the other committee members for their approval. Changes are made if necessary.
- Once the committee has approved the proposal, the graduate director is informed.
- A copy of the proposal and the route sheet should be given to the director to keep in the student's file.
Proposal Format (No more than 10 pages)
Abstract (No more than 300 words)
Table of Contents
Statement of problem
Importance of the problem
Development of new or novel methodology
Application of new solution to an existing problem
Application of existing approaches to new problems
Necessary tools (hardware, software, network)
Publication of work in scholarly journals or conference proceedings
Construction of Software
Development of new algorithms
References and Bibliography