Earn a Graduate Degree That Prepares You for Public Service Leadership
IU South Bend’s Master of Public Affairs (MPA)
The IU South Bend MPA is an applied professional degree for those interested in assuming a leadership role as a policy-maker and/or manager in a public service organization. Accredited by the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA), this graduate degree program equips students with the ability to analyze contemporary political, economic, and social issues in the context of the public service arena where they specialize. Degree completion typically requires 39 credit hours, including 12 hours devoted to the student’s area of graduate degree concentration. Professional certificates (15 hours) are available in each concentration area. The Master's degree program can be completed in as little as two years or longer, if desired.
Choose one of three graduate degree concentrations
- Governmental Administration and Policy
- Non-Profit Administration and Policy
- Health Systems Administration and Policy
MPA program highlights
- Attend convenient evening classes that accommodate the schedules of working adult students. Programs also offer some hybrid classes that combine on campus and online classes.
- Progress toward a degree Over 60% of part-time students graduate with an MPA in 3 years.
- Save with affordable public university tuition on a high-quality graduate degree program.
- Complete a capstone project; no master’s thesis is required.
- Earn up to 1-6 credit hours for professional work experience gained through an off-campus practicum or internship.
- Join a cohort--the program admits 20 students a year on average with 60 students active in the program.
- Work closely with professors in intimately sized classes that average just 15 -20 students.
- Study with professors who all hold the highest degree awarded in their field and with local working professionals who are well experienced in your area of specialization.
What our students say
Chris Godlewski, MPA – May '12 graduate
Hometown: Burbank, IL
“[I] enrolled in the MPA Governmental Administration and Policy master’s program and it has provided exactly the education I need. I use what I’ve learned every day on my job as the Elkhart County Plan Director. The program has helped me advance in my career and has taught me to think critically, write well and understand government policy on a deeper level. The total experience has been extraordinary from the class content and professors to the relationships I’ve made with other professionals from the area.”
Gabriel Popescu, PhD
Director, Master of Public Affairs Program
Department of Political Science