William S. and Kathryn L. Shields Distinquished Nursing Scholarship
The William S. and Kathryn L. Shields Nursing Scholarship, established in 1991, was created through the generous contribution of William S. Shields and his wife, Kathryn. Recipients are carefully selected based on academic achievements, financial need, and recommendations. The scholarships, which may be used for tuition, books, bookstore supplies and child care at the IU South Bend Day Care Center, are available to students pursuing a four year undergraduate degree in nursing. The scholarships are designed to identify future scholars in nursing with potential for making outstanding contributions to the nursing profession.
The application criteria for William S. and Kathryn L. Shields Scholarship is as follows:
- Regular admission to Indiana University
- Full-time enrollment in the pre- nursing or BSN program
- If cirrent IU South Bend student, cumulative grade point average in Indiana University credit hours of 3.5 or above
- Demonstrate financial need
- Submit one supporting letter of recommendation from a college faculty member or a high school science teacher (for high school senior applicants only)
- Submit application by deadline of May 15th for continuing students and June 1st for incoming freshmen.
Please have your letter of recommendation and application sent to:
Scholarship Committee, c/o Student Services NS452
Indiana University South Bend, School of Nursing
1700 Mishawaka Avenue
P.O. Box 7111
South Bend IN 46634-7111
If you have a disability and need assistance, special arrangements can be made to accommodate most needs. Please contact Janet Gilroy, Director of Student Services, College of Health Sciences, Northside Hall 452 or by telephone at (574) 237-4571.