Online video is a perfect way to speak directly to your audience. At the Office of Communications and Marketing, we have the tools and expertise to help share your story through impactful, professionally produced video projects.
OCM Video Production Services
Frequently Asked Questions
Any IU South Bend school, department, or program can request to have a video produced.
There are three major stages of creating a video:
- Develop the video’s objective, target audience, concept.
- Visualize the video through a script and/or storyboard.
- Create a shot list.
- Take stock of necessary equipment and props.
- Scout locations for filming.
- Find and coordinate with those who will appear on camera.
- Set up lighting, audio, set pieces, and props.
- Record video using our shot list, storyboard, and script as guides.
- Record audio narration if necessary.
- Create any necessary graphics.
- Edit a rough cut of the video with footage and audio.
- Edit a final draft of the video with all footage, audio, music, and graphics.
- Develop closed captioning if necessary.
It can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 12 weeks depending on the size and scope of your video, and how busy we are when we receive your project request.
You are considered a producer on your video, which means you have certain responsibilities. These vary from project to project, but generally include:
- Being involved in the early planning stages.
- Helping coordinate people and locations, especially if students or faculty from your school, department, or program are involved.
- Being present during filming of interviews.
- Providing feedback on drafts.
We do not charge for our video production services. If you want to use a specific song outside of our music subscription service, or need special props, an off-campus location, or an actor or voice actor, you are responsible for any expenses incurred.
Yes, anyone participating in your video needs to sign a model release. A copy of IU’s model release can be found here
It depends on the objective of your video, but we typically recommend that shorter is better.
That depends on your target audience and the objective of your video. For most, we recommend uploading on the official IU South Bend YouTube channel, but it might also be beneficial to upload directly to your social media platforms, or to other locations. We are happy to help you figure out what will work best for you!
Not a problem! Please contact us to set up a meeting, and we can help you figure out what would work best for your school, department, or program.
Currently, we are not able to film drone shots.
Not without following the proper IU policies and procedures.