Academic Record Requirements

Academic records should show a complete list of courses taken, grades received and any diplomas or certificates earned. They should also indicate the number of credits awarded for each course or the number of hours of classroom, lecture, and laboratory and include information about the school’s grading scale.  Records are considered official if the issuing institution sends them directly to IU South Bend. Course work from one institution reported as transfer credit on another school’s transcript is not an official transcript.

If you are currently enrolled, submit current transcripts showing all work completed. Send final transcripts reflecting all work completed as soon as they become available.

When the issuing school will not send the transcripts directly to IU South Bend you may send an unaltered photocopy, certified by an appropriate official, directly with your application. These documents must be issued on official stationery with an original ink stamp or raised seal and the original signature of the principal, registrar, or other officer. In cases where the local, state, or national government keeps educational records, the original signature of an appropriate officer and/or the raised seal or ink stamp of the appropriate agency will constitute official certification. Certification by a public notary is not acceptable. IU South Bend may contact the issuing school or government agency to verify the authenticity of documents.

Credential evaluations completed by private agencies (i.e., Educational Credentials Evaluators, Inc. or Foundation for Educational Services) are not considered official transcripts or diploma substitutes.

Beginning Freshmen and First-Year Transfer Students

If you have not attended post-secondary school or you have less than one year of full-time college-level study, you must submit the following:

  • Official copies of all secondary school certificates, certificates of education, or matriculation examinations (result slips are not acceptable unless submitted by an IU South Bend-recognized sponsoring agency); and
  • Official transcripts for each term or year of study, showing courses, credits and grades, from each high school and post-secondary school you attended.

Advanced Transfer Students

If you have completed more than one year of full-time post-secondary study (30 or more transferable semester hours, excluding English as a Second Language courses and failing grades), you are not required to provide secondary school records, but you may wish to submit them if your grades are strong. Your university records should show a complete list of courses taken, grades received, and any diplomas or certificates earned.

Graduate/Professional Students

You must submit official transcripts and diplomas of all academic course work completed after graduation from high school.

If you are still unsure about what documents to submit, please contact us.

Note: All documents submitted become the property of IU South Bend.  Hard copies are scanned and retained for one year, after which they will be destroyed. You may retrieve the original records for a small fee when you arrive. Please allow several weeks, as the documents may be stored off-site.