Transferring in from Another University

Once you have been granted admission to Indiana University South Bend, we will review the official transcripts you have submitted for consideration and prepare a Credit Transfer Report. If you would like your non-U.S. institution course work considered for specific credit, you must submit detailed course descriptions, together with an English translation. IU South Bend does not accept credit evaluation service reports in place of course descriptions.

In determining whether to grant credit for transcripted course work, we take into consideration the following factors:

  • An institution’s accreditation or candidacy status with a U.S. regional accrediting association or its home country status (usually this means recognition by the Ministry of Education)
  • Whether the course content is comparable to courses offered at IU South Bend or at another IU campus
  • Whether reliable information is available regarding the institution’s status, course content, etc.

Please note the following conditions for granting credit:

  • You must have received a grade of C or higher. All grades and marks from non-US institutions will be converted to the 4.0 scale.
  • No credit is awarded for English language or writing courses completed in non-Anglophone countries (as determined by IU South Bend), nor for ESL course work completed in the U.S.
  • We do not grant credit for course work that is listed as “pre-freshman” or prefatory to taking first year college course work for credit.
  • Although transfer credit grades are listed on your transfer credit report and such courses may or may not meet degree requirements, the grades are not calculated as a part of your IU grade point average (GPA).
  • Generally speaking, you will be awarded the same number of hours for which you received credit at the other school. However, if the school granted quarter hours, your transferable credits will be multiplied by two-thirds to convert them to semester hours. Credits from non-U.S. institutions which assign credit according to other systems will be converted to semester hours in consideration of what constitutes a normal full-time course load or the weighted distribution of credit for each course completed.
  • IU South Bend awards up to 60 credit hours from a 2-year college. Up to 90 semester hours or 135 quarter hours of transferred credit can be applied from a four-year institution toward a Bachelor’s degree.
  • Courses for which we do not have a match are transferred to IU South Bend as “undistributed” and will appear on the Credit Transfer Report as UNDI. These credits may count toward fulfilling elective requirements but will not meet specific course work requirements. Courses transferred in as “undistributed” may, however, be reviewed by your academic department for specific credit toward your degree program.

Once your transfer credits have been evaluated, you may view the Credit Transfer Report (CTR) in your One account. Please be advised, you must submit an official transcript or set of exam results in order for IU South Bend to formally grant credit equivalencies. CTRs may take up to 4 weeks to process during peak times throughout the year.

Advanced Placement (AP), CLEP, SAT II

If you take AP, CLEP, or SAT II exams, you may be able to receive college-level credit from IU South Bend. Please be sure to request that your test scores be sent to IU South Bend directly.

AP Exam Credit Information
CLEP Credit Information 

International Baccalaureate (IB)

IU South Bend awards credit for Higher-level International Baccalaureate examinations in which a grade of 5,6, or 7 is earned. No credit is awarded for Subsidiary examinations. Students should submit an official copy of their International Baccalaureate transcript (not the results report).

A Levels

IU South Bend will accept A level work and award up to 8 credits for each exam scored D and higher.

Transfer Credit Equivalencies

Ivy Tech

For information about course-to-course credit transfer from Ivy Tech, please review the following table: Ivy Tech Transfer Equivalencies

Please consult with your present academic advisor or IU South Bend's OISS staff about course equivalencies for the following U.S. schools:

Shoreline Community College
Tacoma Community College
Edmonds Community College
Seattle Community College District

For the following non--U.S. universities and colleges, please consult with your home institution’s study abroad advisors or IU South Bend's OISS in order to learn more about specific course equivalencies:

Tianjin Polytechnical University
Japan College of Foreign Languages
Taylor’s University
International University of Grand Bassam