Many students find that biking is the easiest and cheapest way to get around South Bend. Bikes can be purchased new at many local bicycle shops. Check under “Bicycle” in the yellow pages of the telephone directory for stores that specialize in bicycles and bike repairs.
Additionally, used bikes can be found for sale throughout the year. Keep your eyes open for signs in residence halls, classified ads in the newspaper or even Craigslist.com.
The Indiana University South Bend Police Department offers a bicycle registration for all students, faculty, and staff. Registration is quick and easy. Registration is FREE and is valid until the bicycle is sold. You can register it by filling out a form below and returning to the Campus Police Department. This information will be kept on file. In the event that your bicycle is ever lost or stolen, contact the Police department and this information will be provided to you.
Bike Rules and Tips
Bicyclists need to obey the same rules and regulations as drivers of motor vehicles. Remember the following safety rules, most of which are state laws.
- Wear a bicycle helmet.
- Obey the one-way street direction signs (i.e., ride in the same direction as cars).
- Ride on the right side, not the left side of the street.
- Do not ride on sidewalks.
- Come to a complete stop at stop signs and stop lights.
- Give hand signals before turning.
- If riding at night, wear reflectors and use head and tail lights.
- Park bikes only where they can be locked securely to an immovable object.
- For purpose of security, record in your files a careful description of the bike including the bike serial number and lock number. Also, register your bike with the campus Police (801 N. Jordan) so that it can be recovered more easily if stolen.