Health and Wellness
All F-1 and J-1 students at IU South Bend are required to have health insurance for themselves and their families (dependents). IU South Bend has a mandatory insurance program for its students through Aetna Student Health. The IU policy covers various health costs. Non-immigrant international students are automatically enrolled in this plan when they register, and the premium amount will show up on your bursar bill each semester.
If you have your own insurance from your home country or prefer to purchase other insurance on your own, you may waive the University insurance if your insurance meets the following minimum requirements:
$50,000 for each sickness or illness
Maternity Benefits: same as sickness; pregnancy, childbirth, and complications
$50,000 for each accident or injury
$10,000 for medical evacuation
$7,500 for repatriation
Deductible (or excess fee) not more than $500 per sickness or injury (per person)
(All amounts and requirements are in U.S. dollars)
Campus police would like to remind everyone of the following crime prevention tips:
- Be sure to lock your vehicle when exiting.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- If possible, have someone walk with you to your vehicle.
- Have your keys ready.
- Look for anyone near your car or near you as you approach your vehicle.
- Check your vehicle for any signs of forced entry. If any damage is observed go to a safe place and call police.
- Check the interior of your vehicle, especially the back seat, before you enter.
- If you are confronted by someone, run or walk away from the immediate area. Go to the nearest phone and call the police immediately.
The Campus Police Department also publishes campus crime statistics.
Stay fit at the Student Activities Center on-campus featuring:
- Competition Basketball / Volleyball Courts (3)
- Racquetball / Wallyball Courts (3)
- Indoor Running Track (1/8 mile)
- Group Exercise / Aerobic Room
- Table Tennis / Billiards Tables
- Life fitness (plate-loaded) equipment
- Hampton Strength free-weight equipment
- Precor Elliptical Trainers (8)
- Precor Climbers (3)
- Precor AMT (1)
- Schwinn Elite Upright Bikes (4)
- Schwinn Recumbent Bikes (4)
- Precor Treadmills (2)
- Lifefitness Treadmills (2)
- Woodway treadmill (1)
- Schwinn Rower & Stretch Trainer (1)
Membership to the Fitness Center is included in the cost of tuition. Group fitness classes have an additional fee of $5 per class or 10 classes for $20.
The SAC also houses the Health and Wellness Center.
All IU South Bend students are offered 10 free sessions counseling sessions per academic year. All counseling sessions are confidential. Record of your attendance will be shared with no one, including your immediate family or other departments (except in instances of immediate concern for your physical safety or the safety of others.) Counseling records are not part of your academic record and cannot be accessed by other schools or employers.
- Counseling and Consultation
- Life skills
- Personal Development / Workshop
- Links to Community Resources
- Various Support Groups
Counseling can assist with the topics below and many more:
- Stress/Time Management
- Academic Concerns
- Emotional Well Being
- Alcohol/Drug Abuse
- Eating Disorders
- Gambling Problems
- Coping Skills
- Family/Relationship Problems
- Mental Health Screening Available Online (click here)
Administration Building 130
1700 Mishawaka Avenue
South Bend, IN 46635
The IU South Bend Dental Hygiene clinic is open to the public. It is a preventive dental hygiene clinic offering services to the population of Michiana at a reduced cost. Services include dental prophylaxis (cleaning), non-surgical periodontal therapy (deep cleaning), periodontal assessments, oral cancer screenings, dental radiographs (x-rays), and dental sealants.
For hours and costs, click here.