New Student Orientation - Summer 2016
University Grill, located in the Administration Building (click here for directions to campus)
There will be red and white orientation signs directing you to parking.
8:30a - 9:00a (a continental breakfast will be served)
Welcome Remarks: Dr. Terry Allison, Chancellor
Orientation Overview: Rick Dennie, Director, Student Support
Small Group Information Sessions begin (separate sessions for students and parents)
- Students will meet in small groups facilitated by a faculty member and peer mentor. You will remain in this group throughout the day as you discuss the transition into the university environment, how classes are structured at IU South Bend, time commitments involved, and much more. You will also take a campus tour.
- Please note that parents and other guests will not remain with students during the New Student Orientation program following the opening remarks. We feel it is critical for our new students to become familiar with the IU South Bend campus and to meet and interact with other students, faculty, and staff, and register for classes independently of their parents.
- Parents and guests will receive similar information as the students, but targeted specifically for them.
- Lunch times will be staggered for students and parents.
- In the afternoon, students will register for their classes. Professional staff advisors and faculty advisors will assist students in selecting the appropriate classes based on their intended major (or, if undecided).
- Parents and guests will have additional information sessions in the afternoon.
3:30p - 4:15p
Orientation concludes. Dismissal times will vary depending on major. Some students may get done earlier. Students and guests can meet back up with each other in the Grill (where orientation starts). We suggest you have a way to contact each other in case students are done while parent session is still going on.
What to Bring to Orientation
- Your computer account (One.IU) username and passphrase. You will be registering for classes at orientation and will need this to access the online registration system. Please ensure you can access your computer account prior to coming to orientation. If you are unable to access your account, contact our Information Center at (574) 520-5005.
- Dress comfortably and weather appropriate, as we will be outside for part of the time for a campus tour.
Do you know about banded tuition?
Beginning Fall 2016, undergraduate students enrolled at all Indiana University campuses, including IU South Bend, will pay one rate for their basic tuition when taking between 12 credits and 18 credits. Banded tuition is designed to help students graduate in four years and reduce the cost of their education. For more information go to http://www.iusb.edu/succeed/banded-tuition.html