Orientation Team Leaders - Summer 2016
As an Orientation Team Leader, you play a vital role in welcoming new students and parents to campus. We are looking for students who are enthusiastic about IU South Bend, outgoing, knowledgeable about the campus and its services, and eager to share their positive experiences with new students and parents. At the end of the day, we want our incoming students to feel confident about their decision to attend IU South Bend and to know that we are here to help them succeed. We want them to leave orientation having made connections to at least one faculty member, an advisor or other staff member, fellow incoming students, and at least one student leader . . . and that leader is YOU!
You will be assigned a small group of 10-15 new students, which will also have a faculty member and possibly 1 other Orientation Leader. You will be with this group throughout the day and will work with the faculty and advisor to: facilitate ice-breakers, introduce campus resources, engage students one-on-one and in small groups, encourage involvement in extra-curricular activities, share your tips for success and why you love IU South Bend, train students in One.IU and other online functions, conduct a campus tour, and assist students in registering for their first semester. If you don’t feel confident about your knowledge-base on some of these areas, no worries, we will cover this in training.
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing. Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
- Enthusiasm for IU South Bend and willingness to serve as a positive role model.
- Outgoing . . . a people person.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to facilitate small group sessions.
- A commitment to helping new students.
- An appreciation of students from a variety of cultures, ethnicities, lifestyles, and backgrounds.
- Must be willing to have FUN!
Orientation Leaders are paid $9.25 per hour for all work associated with orientation (training and the actual programs). You will be given an Orientation Leader shirt and lunch will be provided at each orientation.
However, beyond the monetary benefits, Orientation Leaders will:
- Develop leadership skills and experience that will enhance their resume.
- Enhance their interpersonal communication skills.
- Develop connections with faculty, staff, and students across campus.
- Become more knowledgeable about IU South Bend.
Orientation Leaders must commit to work at a minimum of 4 of the 7 New Student Orientation programs. For each orientation, the time commitment is 8:00a - 4:00p. You can opt to work more of them if you want. New Student Orientation will be held on the following:
- Saturday, May 21
- Friday, June 10
- Friday, June 17
- Friday, June 24
- Friday, July 15
- Friday, July 22
- Friday, August 5
There are also 3 Transfer Student Orientations, which are half-day program, so your time commitment would be from 8:00a until about 12:30p. In addition, our annual New Student Induction Ceremony, held on the Friday prior to the start of classes, is a more formal event and serves as the final event for our new students prior to the start of classes. These events are all held on the following:
- Wednesday, June 22 (Transfer Student Orientation)
- Wednesday, July 20 (Transfer Student Orientation)
- Wednesday, August 10 (Transfer Student Orientation)
- Friday, August 19 (New Student Induction Ceremony)
There will be required training that will take place on Friday, May 13. Attendance at training is required in order to be considered for an Orientation Leader position. We will train you in all areas of being an orientation leader and this will also give you the opportunitiy to interact with fellow orientation leaders and faculty that will be participating in orientation.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ONLINE APPLICATION (sorry, but all hiring for the summer has been completed for orientation leaders; please look again to next summer if you will not be graduating)
Director, Student Support
Education & Arts Building, Room 2231