History & Mission
Indiana University South Bend is the only public bachelor’s and master’s degree granting institution in north central Indiana. The first classes were held at Central High School in downtown South Bend in 1916. The campus moved to its current location along the St. Joseph River in 1961 with the completion of Northside Hall. In 1975, Indiana University purchased most of the land that created the campus of today. Since then, new facilities include the Franklin D. Schurz Library (1989), Wiekamp Hall (1997), Student Activities Center (2002), pedestrian bridge (2005), IU South Bend Elkhart Center (2007), River Crossing student housing (2007), and the Education and Arts Building (2013). IU South Bend is the largest regional campus of Indiana University, with more than 8,000 students, nearly 300 full-time faculty members and over 1,400 full and part-time employees.
Indiana University South Bend is the comprehensive undergraduate and postgraduate campus that serves North Central Indiana and is a regional campus of Indiana University. The campus values excellence in teaching, student-faculty interaction, research and creative activity, diversity and inclusivity, a global perspective, and collaboration in life-long learning. IU South Bend develops engaged citizens prepared to build strong communities.