Pass/Fail Grade Option

Undergraduate students may enroll in up to eight elective courses using the Pass/Fail grade option. Some schools further limit the number of courses that can be taken as Pass/Fail and may otherwise restrict use of the Pass/Fail option. Contact your school recorder for the Pass/Fail form and more information.

Instructors are not informed when undergraduate students elect to take a course on a Pass/Fail basis, however, graduate students must obtain the instructor’s signature to take a class Pass/Fail. In both cases, the instructor will report the standard letter grade to the Office of the Registrar. The registrar will then record grades of D- or above as Passing grades (P), and an F as a failing grade (F). A grade of P does not affect the grade point average. A grade of F will count like any other failing grade.

Courses taken on a Pass/Fail basis count toward full- or part-time standing for purposes of financial aid and loan deferments.

Signed forms must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline specified in the academic calendar. Once invoked, the student may not change to graded status for the course.