Account Management

Office of Research
Erika Zynda, Contracts & Grants Coordinator 
Administration 246H
(574) 520-4181 | FAX: (574) 520-5549  

External Awards:

  • Summary of the financial status of an open external account from MyRA.
  • Information on project changes and account extensions can be found here.
  • Reports: The IU Office of Research Administration is responsible for the creation and submission of financial reports and invoices related to externally funded projects. These submissions are time sensitive with due dates varying between funding agencies. The project director is responsible for completing any program or technical report required by the terms of the award. Many agencies have specific requirements. Be sure to look at the guidelines regarding forms, formats, and submissions.

Guidelines for Managing Your
Grant Account

Salary | Capital Equipment | Supplies | Travel | Consultants | Speakers | Participant Costs | Hospitality | Forms

All funds in any university account belong to the university. All property purchased with funds in any university account belong to the university.

As the account manager YOU are responsible for initiating and monitoring expenditures within your account following all policies of IU. Erika Zynda will be acting as Fiscal Officer on all research related accounts.

Monthly emails will point you to your electronic statement of account (instructions for monitoring your Monthly Operating Statement  on the IUIE. If you are not already registered for this system go to here and register now. Since normal accounting procedures sometimes delay the appearance of an encumbrance on a statement I suggest that you keep a separate record of expenditures to avoid overspending the account (sample spreadsheet).  All overdrafts must be covered by the account manager.

To find the reports on any account you are manager of click here.

Faculty Member:
If you or another faculty member are receiving course release or summer salary out of your grant account it is up to you to check with the Contracts & Grants Coordinator a month ahead of the semester in question to make sure the proper E-doc is complete. If a portion of your salary is being used as cost share an appropriate E-doc must be done also.

Research Assistants: In most cases wages for assistants should be paid on an hourly basis. You are encouraged, if possible, to employ students qualified for work study since your account will only be charged a percentage of their salary. If you employ a person who is already a full‑time IU employee, he/she must be paid at an overtime rate. No matter who you employ appropriate fringe benefits (including FICA, etc.) will be deducted from your account .  Check with the Payroll Office (4437) for the correct forms and timesheets. 

CAPITAL EQUIPMENT Capital equipment is defined as any INDIVIDUAL equipment item costing $5,000 or more. You must have a specific capital equipment line in your budget to place an order for capital equipment on an external grant account. Capital equipment MUST be ordered through the Purchasing Department. You can search for best prices in the IU contracts through the EPIC system in OneStart. As with any purchased on a university account all capital equipment purchased becomes property of the University and should be maintained under the capital assets inventory of your department.

S&E EXPENDITURES Supplies should be ordered through the Purchasing Department and charged directly to your grant account. You can search for best prices in the IU contracts through the KFS system in OneStart.

Similarly, duplicating, postage, etc. can be charged directly to your account. If you plan to use your department copier to make copies that need to be charged to your grant account, contact Deb Richards at 4580 to get a separate code for the copier. Large copy jobs should be sent to IUSB Duplicating and charged to your account. Mailings that should be charged to your grant account should be bundled with a post-it note referencing your account number.

On a rare occasion it may be necessary for you to purchase something out of pocket. If this happens a Disbursement Voucher should be submitted with your original receipt attached. Keep in mind that sales tax will not be reimbursed. You should not purchase anything over $50 out of pocket without prior approval from the fiscal officer. You will have to provide justification for why the item was not purchased through the university and if it doesn't conform to University policy, the reimbursement will be denied. Receipts can be sent to the Office of Research with an appropriate account number to be charged for processing.

TRAVEL Work with your department secretary to set up travel in Travel@IU system. All Indiana University travel procedures must be followed ( ) All travel documents and receipts must be submitted within 60 days of return or the reimbursement will be subject to tax withholding. No reimbursements will be made more than 120 days after return.

Rental Cars: Since we no longer have a motor pool here at IUSB we have special pricing on rental cars through Enterprise. Check out the guidelines if you would like to rent a car.

You can charge airline tickets directly to your account using Orbitz for Business an IU Authorized travel agent ( Please reference the trip number when making the reservations.  Make sure you retain original receipts for reimbursement and submit your original ticket receipt and your boarding pass, even if you charged the airline ticket in advance. If you used an e-ticket, ask for a receipt at the airline check-in.  Please refer to the current Travel Guidelines at

CONSULTANTS Outside consultants should be paid by Purchase Order.  All contracts for services must be signed by the Purchasing Director.

SPEAKERS Honorarium, per diem, and other travel costs for outside speakers should be paid on a Disbursement Voucher, with original receipts attached. While they are here the speaker must sign a Disbursement Voucher Payee Certification [this is new] and complete a W-9. These should be attached to the documentation and sent to the Accounting Services office A236 Hotel costs for a speaker can be charged directly to your account if you use a pre-approved local hotel (w:/PurchInfo/Hotel Rates and CPO Numbers). 

Hotel information for outside speakers, guidelines and forms can be found on the W drive under PurchInf.

PARTICIPANT COST  If you are paying participants in your research, each one must fill out a W-9 and a Disbursement Voucher Payee Certification [this is new]. Send these along with an explanation which should say "cost to participate in **** research project conducted by Dr. ***** on this date *****" to the Office of Research for processing.

If you are paying tuition, fees, or a fellowship to a student you must run the cost through the Financial Aid office. You can coordinate this with the Office of Research. Keep in mind that if a student has any outstanding bills on their bursars account fellowship funding will be reduced by that amount.


Never allowed on internal grants. If approved on the official budget from an external agency you can buy hospitality but you must follow university guidelines. 

Alcoholic beverages are never allowed. If you are using our dining services you need to complete their catering request at

If you are purchasing items you can do it through the Purchasing Department or be reimbursed on a Disbursement Voucher.

Object Codes

Accounting Forms 

Last Updated: October 18, 2015
Return to Research Office