The SMART Travel Grant
Average per-student $500
This award is available to IUSB undergraduate students traveling to conferences or workshops to disseminate their research or other scholarly activity. If you will be traveling to a remote location to conduct research you should submit a SMART Expense Grant proposal. You may receive only one SMART Travel Grant per academic year. Preference will be given to students that will be presenting research at a conference. These funds cannot be used to complete assignments made as part of normal required coursework. Eligible students must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher. Except in special circumstances, proposals must be received by the committee at least two weeks prior to when funding is needed. No awards will be made retroactively.
If there will be more than one student travelling to the same conference please review the Group Travel guidelines
Please contact the program office at 574-520-4181 with any questions about your project.
SECTION A : General Information
Please include the following information in your application:
- Project Title
- Student Name
- Address, City/State/Zip
- E-mail Address
- Daytime Phone
- University ID
- Class Rank: Fr / So / Jr / Sr
- Your Major/Minor
- Expected Graduation Date
- Work Study? Research Required?
- Faculty Mentor/Department
- How did you hear about this program? (if from a professor other than your mentor, include name and department)
- Have you previously been awarded an SMART Award? If YES, give Title of Project, Faculty Mentor, Semester/Year project was begun.
SECTION B: Abstract
- Give the reason (name of conference, etc.), destination, dates, and number of nights.
- Give a brief description of your own involvement in the project being presented, describing what research you have been involved in thus far and where you are taking this project (both research and writing) during the course of this semester.
- Address what you expect to get from the conference. What are you planning to do at the conference and why? How does this correlate with your educational or professional goals?
SECTION C : Budget
What do you estimate your project to cost? Break down each category as fully as possible.
Include transportation costs (ticket price or mileage), registration fee, and lodging. The SMART Committee will not fund meals or per diem for student travel.
SECTION D :
If you are presenting a paper attach the paper to your proposal.
There is no deadline for these proposals.
Your proposal should be submitted electronically to Erika Zynda. Your mentor's letter should be sent by email to the same address.