New Student Convocation
Friday, August 19 (for students already registered for classes)
Join Chancellor Susan Elrod and the campus community to formally recognize the start of the semester. Welcome/Open House events for each of the academic units will also be taking place, as well as an all-campus cookout. Go to https://go.iu.edu/4tI7 for details and reservations.
New Student Convocation
Incoming Fall 2022 Students
It's exciting to start your college journey, but we also understand it can be equally overwhelming. Our New Student Orientation is designed to make the process as straightforward as possible.
At IU South Bend, our strong sense of community means there is always someone invested in your success and ready to do whatever it takes to help you to pursue your passions, achieve your goals, and make your mark on the world. If you have any questions along the way, always feel free to reach out for assistance.
We have both virtual and in-person options for you to register for classes and become familiar with our campus. Simply follow the steps below to get started!
1. Find your University ID
Before you get started, make sure you know your 10-digit University ID. You can find it on your admissions notices or look it up using the access management system.Look up University ID
If you have not yet been admitted to IU South Bend, please contact the Office of Admissions before signing up for advising and registration.
3. Sign up for advising and registration
Classes begin Monday, August 22. Schedule your appointment NOW to register for classes.
After submitting the appointment request form, you will receive a confirmation to the personal email address you indicated on the reservation form, as well as your IU email address, if that has been set up. If you have questions, please contact Rick Dennie at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or (574) 520-4164.
4. Before your appointment
- Complete Part I of the New Student Orientation on Canvas, which contains a few quick action items, including a brief survey which provides your advisor with additional information about you in preparation for your appointment. Estimated completion time is 20-30 minutes.
- Look at your To Do List for items you may need to act on.
- Complete the Math and/or English placement exam prior to your advising appointment if they appear on your To Do List. Both exams can be taken online.
- Check your personal and IU email, which is where appointment confirmations will be sent.
5. Attend your appointment
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. Check your email confirmation for location information.
- If you have questions, contact Rick Dennie at email@example.com (preferred) or (574) 520-4164.
- Log in to your appointment via Zoom. You will find your appointment time and Zoom link in the email confirmation.
- It is highly preferred that you use a computer or laptop as your advisor will be utilizing screen share to assist you in registering for classes.
- Ensure that you are in a distraction-free environment for the duration of your appointment.
- If you have trouble logging in, or did not receive a confirmation email, please contact Rick Dennie at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or (574) 520-4164.
6. After your appointment
- Sign up for New Student Convocation on Friday, August 19. Join your peers, Chancellor Susan Elrod, staff, faculty, and the campus community to formally recognize the start of the semester. Welcome/Open House events for each of your majors/schools/colleges will also be taking place, as well as an all-campus cookout. Campus tours will be available to locate your classrooms and you can obtain your CrimsonCard (photo ID) also. Go to https://go.iu.edu/4tI7 for details and reservations.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete Part II of the New Student Orientation on Canvas which includes information on parking, textbooks, financial aid, technology, and more.
- Check your To Do List for any items you need to take action on.
- Visit campus to get familiar with your surroundings.