The Japanese placement exam is a written exam, completed on campus with the Language Resource Director. Please send an email to email@example.com with your Student ID # to schedule your Japanese Placement Exam. Your exam will be scored by our Japanese faculty and a recommended course placement provided.
The Spanish, French, and German exams are now computer adaptive and completed online. You may take the exam one time only. You may not use any outside resources to complete the exam. It must be completed in one sitting (i.e. you cannot pause it and return later).
Length of the exam
The average time to complete the exam is 20 minutes, but please allow up to an hour. You will be taking a multiple choice, computerized, adaptive language placement exam. Each question the exam generates for you is based on how you answer previous questions. It will continue to give you questions until it determines your language level. Therefore, the amount of time it takes you to complete the exam may vary depending upon your level.
Cost of the exam
The placement exam fee is $13.80 and is billed to your bursar account.
The purpose of the placement exam is to give an approximate measure of your current language abilities so that you will have a better opportunity to be successful in your courses. There is no benefit to inflating or deflating your abilities on the assessment. While you are taking the assessment, do not consult with any other source for help (friends, family, internet searches, textbooks, etc.), and do your honest best. Use of outside resources may result in you being placed into a course you are not prepared for.
Follow these steps to start the exam
- Go to the following website http://bit.ly/2OVC186
- Create your account and confirm your password. Please make note of your password – you can log in at any time to review your results.
- Log in to the system, using your newly created account information
- Choose the language exam you are taking and click Take Test (note: you will be charged the placement fee for each exam you complete)
- Complete the Pre-test Survey page and click submit to start the exam
- Complete the exam to the best of your knowledge.
- Upon completing the exam, you will be able to access your score report with your exam score and recommended course placement.
How to interpret your placement exam results
Your score report will list both your exam score and recommended course placement. For reference, these are the placement cutoffs.
F101 Elementary French I
F102 Elementary French II
F203 Second Year French I
F204 Second Year French II
G101 Beginning German I
G102 Beginning German II
G203 Second Year German I
G204 Second Year German II
S101 Elementary Spanish I
S102 Elementary Spanish II
S203 Second Year Spanish I
S204 Second Year Spanish II