Creating a VPN connection at IU South Bend with Windows XPImportant: These instructions assume you have the default Windows XP view (not classic). To change to the Windows XP default view follow these two steps:
- Right Click your Start button and choose properties.
- Click the choice for “Start Menu” and not “Classic Start Menu” and choose Apply, then OK.
Creating the connection:
- Click on “Start” and choose “My Network Places”.
- In the left pane of “My Network Places” choose “View Network Connections”.
- In the left pane of “Network Connections” choose “Create New Connection”.
- New Connection Wizard: Click Next
- Choose “Connect to the network at my workplace” and click Next.
- Choose “Virtual Private Network connection” and click Next.
- Type in “IU South Bend VPN” in the Company Name field and click Next.
- Type in “vpn.iusb.edu” in the Host Name or IP address field and click Next.
- Choose “Anyone’s Use” or “My use only”, this is your choice, then click Next. (Depending on your computer’s configuration, this will determine what other users / accounts can see the network choice in their connection list on YOUR computer.
- If you want a desktop shortcut, click the checkbox for “Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop” and click Finish.