As the largest regional campus of Indiana University, IU South Bend’s history is a mix of tradition and innovation. Indiana University began teaching classes in South Bend in 1916 at Central High School located downtown. In 1961, IU South Bend moved to its current campus location along the St. Joseph River. In 1967, IU South Bend conferred its first degrees. Since then, every decade has seen growth in the student body and the addition of new facilities, including student housing.
More than 5,200 students attend IU South Bend which now offers nearly 100 degree programs, 12 varsity sports playing in the Chicagoland Conference of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), and more than 300 full-time faculty members. Graduates earn an Indiana University degree which is respected throughout the state, across the country, and around the world.
Indiana University South Bend is the comprehensive undergraduateand postgraduate campus that serves North Central Indiana and is a regional campus of Indiana University. The campus values excellence in teaching, student-faculty interaction, research and creative activity, diversity and inclusivity, a global perspective, and collaboration in life-long learning. IU South Bend develops engaged citizens prepared to build strong communities.